Breast Milk not filling baby at 6 weeks

My friend just had a baby around Thanksgiving. He is about 6 weeks old and she has been trying to solely breast feed him. Lately though it seems that he is just not satisfied with the breastmilk, I mean he is eating more of the breastmilk than he ever has yet still has room for formula if she makes it. She is concerned because it's like he is not satisfied but she would like to keep him breastfeeding as much as possible. What can she do to improve the quality of the breast milk and make it more filling? He is eating 6 or 7 oz and is still acting as thought he's starving.... She just wants to do everything she can for him. Thanks!

JalynnMarie407

Asked by JalynnMarie407 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I believe that at 6 weeks they go through a growth spurt. Tell her not to worry. She may need to feed him more often. I always pumped after feeding to up my supply. That always helped me.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Tell her that just because he takes the formula doesn' tmean he was hungry. Babies at that age have a STRONG reflex to suck. If his desire to suck is higher than his "full meter" he will suck down the formula.

He's approaching a growth spurt likely so he's behaving normally. Tell your friend to just GO with it. The baby is on the breast a lot because that is how milk supply is built. The baby sucks more the body produces more. That's how it works. Every time she gives him a bottle she interrupts that. If he's got plenty of wet diapers and is pooping and is alert and happy he's getting plenty. To ensure that he's getting the hindmilk, remind her to feed him on one breast at each feeding and offer the other breast when he seems like the other breast is soft and he wants more. No bottles.

Remind her that her milk is PERFECT and there is NOTHING wrong with her! Nature makes every woman's milk perfect
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• ...I forgot to finish my thought about the formula... the way a baby gets formula from a bottle is very different from how they get it form the breast. A baby can suck on the nipple and not get milk constantly because breastmilk doesn't flow continuously. With a bottle with most nipples the baby will get formula whether they suck or not and they must swallow or choke.    (and before when I said 'when the breast seems soft'  some women's breasts are always soft...if the baby seems like he wants more and he's been on the breast for twenty minutes offer the other side)

Tell her to go to http://www.drjacknewman.com/  and watch some videos.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• if she sups with formula she will never make enough breastmilk
    baby should be allowed to nurse as often ans as long as he'd like and you judge successful bf by getting 5 wet diapers or more a day 1-3 poops a week and weight gain at the doctors visit... the fact that any baby will take a bottle of formula after nursing means they are much like us evenif dinner filled us up we can always make room for dessert :) that is a very bad way to measure successful breastfed babies
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• amilee said it all
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:39 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Formula will decrease her supply. Here is what helped my build my supply:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:07 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I would advise her to nurse. As often as baby wants, and for as long as he wants. This is time for a growth spurt. Supplementation can damage her supply, which probably is fine. Nurse directly on demand and ditch all bottles and formula. BEST WAY to increase supply. As long as she is changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, he's getting enough. That's ALL that matters. Just because he will take the formula doesn't mean a thing. More then likely, he takes it because it's easy and it's there. And have her check out her local La Leche League. They're a great support group.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2010