If you are atheist do you celebrate the holidays?

just was curious because a true atheist would not celebrate any holidays. so just was wondering any of you do? and those who don't? how do you explain things to your children about the holidays?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I celebrate it in a different way. My husband is christian therefore he and his family celebrates Christmas. Just because im atheist doesn't mean im going to sit on the sidelines and be a downer. I give presents because its a season of giving. When they pray and do all that stuff I stand there with them but I do not say the prayer or amen. My child isnt old enough to understand. When he is I'll explain to him that me and his father is different and he can chose whatever. I will never push my lack of religon on my child and my husband would never push his religion on him either. Every one is different doesn't mean we cant get along and celebrate together even if we are celebrating 2 different things.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i don't think being atheist or not has much of anything to do with most holidays...FYI: not all holidays revolve around religions/God/gods. (didn't we cover this topic last month?)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• And I'm sure you're an expert on what a "True" atheist is. Atheists are just like everyone else, we simply do not believe in God or gods. If we celebrate holidays it is because we enjoy them and the time with our families. If we don't we don't. Frankly this was all covered back in December.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I'm with Krisit!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• well i never was around in december. well i think a true atheist shouldn;t celebrate the holidays because they are revolve around religion and i was not asking to get nasty feed back. i never said i was an expert and thanks for being nasty about asking a question. just like cafemoms to be nasty. proves my theory.
    Anonymous

• Christ wasn't born in December so why celebrate Christmas? I see no religious context behind Thanksgiving. it was actually the beginning of a very dark section of our history but it has evolved into so much more. Halloween, well there's a fun one. Valentine's day aside from it being the supposed day of a Saint being stoned to death I fail to see any other religious connection. I could go on with many other holidays but let's face it you only care about telling others they are "wrong"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If you don't want nasty feedback I suggest you refrain from posting nasty questions. Telling others what they can and cannot celebrate or should/should not celebrate is rather rude and as a result the responses you will receive will be indicative of that.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yes I do celebrate some holidays but not all of them.   For instance, I don't celebrate Independence Day but I do celebrate Guy Fawkes Day.  I celebrate Christmas too and I incorporate a lot of the original Pagan traditions.

I celebrate what I want to celebrate and I celebrate it in my own secular way.  I don't need your permission or your approval.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• well, I'm a spiritual atheist. I do celebrate the holidays, but for cultural reasons, not religious. When my daughter is old enough, I plan on explain the different cultures behind each holiday. (ex. Christmas, Yule, Hanuka, etc. different names, different dates, but all stem from the same foundation. We celebrate like our ancestors did, although we don't do it for religious reason, but to celebrate our ancestors).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• "well i think a true atheist shouldn;t celebrate the holidays because they are revolve around religion and i was not asking to get nasty feed back. i never said i was an expert and thanks for being nasty about asking a question. just like cafemoms to be nasty. proves my theory."

I see... actually I think you are confusing anarchist with an atheist. An anarchist is someone completely against the system. Therefore they wouldn't celebrate. An atheist, simply doens't believe in God/esses. That doesn't mean we dont' celebrate holidays. It would be like me saying Christians dont' celebrate the 4th of july because it's not a religious holiday. Doesn't make sense to say that. As I said above, most of us DO celebrate holidays, but in different ways. FOr me, it's for cultural reasons. Take St. Patty's day. It's SUPPOSE to be a religious holiday, namely a Catholic one, cont.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:12 AM on Jan. 8, 2010