If you have a child in kindergarten what sports and activities do the schools give for them?

SylviaNCali

Asked by SylviaNCali at 10:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is does, AWANA and 4H, outside of school----in school they do hockey and wrestling but it is all out of pocket and after school hours BS, with the economy we didn't do hockey this year and may not do wrestling in the spring either??
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Elem. schools offer PE, not specific sports like soccer, baseball etc. That is all run outside of school by other organizations at least in california, oregon and washington where i have lived.

My DD is in kindy and they offer school functions like family reading night it is for all grades in the school.

My kids are all active in baseball, soccer, track, cub/girl scouts, ballet and anything else they dream up this year. All these programs are run by associations and the parks and rec dept.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Thanks so far. I'm not sure what types of activities I want my kids to be in yet. I just want them to have fun most of all.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My oldest was in no activities in kindergarten. Not sure what they offered at her school but I wasn't interested in signing her up for anything. We had no money and no time for that stuff.
    My son did track and field, I think, his kindergarten year. It was offered by our park district and met twice a week in the spring (late March-early May).
    My middle daughter was in Daisy Scouts (through her school) and did gymnastics at the park (which met once a week for an hour in the fall/winter) and did a cooking class at the park in the spring (in May and met once a week for an hour).
    I think their school offers soccer for the kindergartners but our park district has all sorts of classes for them to take.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My son does activities through the YMCA. So far he has done the baseball and soccer programs. These make him feel like a big kid since his older brothers are on school teams. The programs are usually only 1 day a week for like 6 to 8 weeks long and are supposed to be only for fun, meaning no score keeping.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 8:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The schools dont usually have things for K students to get involved in, especially sports, but there are many things outside of school to get involved in. By age 5, they can usually play T ball, soccer, do gymnastics or swimming lessons. All of these things can help a child learn the fun of team sports or even just for excercise. Be cautious though...dont over involve them at such a young age. There are plenty of years left to do extracirricular activities. If your child is interested, I would limit it to ONE thing only. You dont want to overschedule a child that young and have them tired and cranky. Extra cirriculars should be something to enhance what youre already doing, not just to take up time. I have 4 kids and trying to keep up with their activities can be very challenging. I only allow them 1 sport per season, but there are 4 of them. Sometimes we just run ourselves ragged. Good luck/
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Our school doesn't really offer any activities for the younger ones, not even much for the older ones. However, our town has a recreation department that runs several programs. Yes, it is at a cost, but the kids can get involved in soccer, baseball, softball, basketball, as well as non-sports related things such as crafts and the like.
    charlenehayden

Answer by charlenehayden at 9:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• 1. Soccor
    2. T-ball

Our town is pretty laim. :(

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• basketball, tball, soccer, wrestling, music lessons, ballet, etc.
    purplemoosemom

Answer by purplemoosemom at 9:23 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The school only provides PE, music and art for the little ones. The recreation centers provide all kids of sports and activities-all of them cost. My advice to Moms of little ones is let them try whatever they want when they are little- you never know what will spark their interest. My boys did team sports, gymnastics, music, art, chess and even dance. They ended up loving team sports but I would have been fine with whatever they decided on because I know they tried a variety of things.
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 9:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2010