omg help!

my son is two weeks old, he is supposed to only drink 2 ounces in his bottle, but he keeps motioning for more, i give him another ounce and it seems like hes not full. he cries and gets fussy until he gets more. i dont know what to do. i feel like im over feeding my child. help!

crysmarie1211

Asked by crysmarie1211 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he wants more feed him more. Babies go through periodic grwoth spurts and they get an insatiable appetite. Since you aren't breastfeeding, you can give him a pacifier to see if he wants to suck (babies have a very strong need to suck) and if he's not happy with that then you know he wants more food. So give it to him. He'll let you know when he's had enough. Once the spurt is over he'll settle down and sleep more. Then will enter another growth spurt.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• He might just want something to suck on....do you have a paci?
    Anonymous

• i try the pacifier, and he sucks for a minute and then cries and does the sucking noise again
    crysmarie1211

Answer by crysmarie1211 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Who said he was only supposed to get 2oz of milk.
    Anonymous

• Was he a big baby? My sons both weighed almost 9lbs and were not satisified with two ozs from birth. My doc told me that the two oz standard is mostly for 6 to 7 lb babies and to feed them as much as they wanted. Unless they start spitting it up. Most babies will stop eating when they are full.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 11:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• be sure to burp your lo good, but feed him as much as he will eat. It will make him happy and you keep your sanity. :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• When my son was two weeks, he went through a major growthspurt. Instead of eating every 3 hours, he was eating every hour. I called the doc, and he said it was completly normal, and he should be back to his normal eating diet in about 2 weeks.
    okgurl87

Answer by okgurl87 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My daughter was drinking 3-4 ounces at I think 3 weeks... so it is fine. Feed on demand.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 2:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• This was confusing to me at first with my now three-month-old. I can only tell you what our doctor said. She said to follow his cues ... if he's consistently looking for more to then start giving him more. I can also tell you that when we were sent home from the hospital we were told to give him at least three ounces at that point.
    Peps75

Answer by Peps75 at 8:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2010