NATURAL birth in hospital

I am pregnant with my first baby and "planning" on going all natural for the birth but want it in a hospital. For those of you who have had an all natural birth in a hospital how was it for you ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had 2 natural births, not by choice. If I would get pregnant again, I would take the drugs.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 11:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• The first time was kinda not too great, mostly because I didn't know what to expect. The second time I barely made it to the hospital before he was born (it was less than 20 minutes from the time we pulled up until he was out and in my arms). I think my body tolerates labor well, but having an understanding doctor and the will to go natural is all you really need!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I have only attended them there, my own babies were born in a birth center.

I think that you can do okay~ come out without the unwanted interventions. *But it can be HARD!

If you are interested in a natural delivery be sure to get "armed" with deep-rooted education & confidence, have a very supportive care provider, choose a hospital with excellent stats, and have your birth team totally on top of what you're preferences are, helping you to get there.

In the end, I wonder why bother with that place, though? (It is so much easier to get everything you want when you don't go to the "intervention house" lol.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I am the first to admit that I'm a wuss when it comes to pain - I don't handle it well, and I thought for sure I would be begging for every drug int he book the minute labor started. It went surprisingly smooth for me, though, and, if it were possible for me to do it again (that's a whole different can of worms), I would.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• we used a baby friendly hospital for the one time i had a natural birth, it was great the staff was extremely supportive and I loved that they let my daughter and i sleep for a hour or so before they gave her a bath. once she was out they cut the cord and i had a few minutes with her then they very quickly took vitals and gave her right back to me. once she and I woke up they let me shower and gave her a bath.

My favorite part was the jacuzzi tub the jets are amazing for controling the pain and the water helps you feel weightless so the heaviness you would feel lying in a bed wasnt even a problem in the water. My friend and i sat there just talking about normal every day things the whole time, then i felt a rip and we both said ut oh and I was moved to a bed lol. DH and I both consider it the best birth experience we had by far.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I had a natural labor in hospital and was glad I did! Add me as a friend/shoot me a message and we can talk details....
    val576

Answer by val576 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• GO ALL NATURAL I AM 19YRS OLD AND I DID IN IT WITH BOTH MY PREG. I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT AND IF YOU DO TAKE MEDICINE IT CAN SLOW THE PROCESS DOWN BUT IT JUST DEPENDS ON HOW YOUR BODY WILL TAKE IT FOR ME I JUST WANTED TO HAVE MY BABIES AND DIDNT WANT TO TAKE THE CHANCE OF THINGS SLOWING DOWN...
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 11:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I always wondered why people had a hard time with natural births in hospitals. For my 3 births they never pushed anything on me. when I first got there they asked what my plan was, I told them and they didn't push anything. I had an epidural all three times but I asked they didn't. My brothers girlfriend had 2 natural births at the same hopsital and they never tried anything. Also, except with my first who had to go to the NICU I got to hold them as long as I wanted before they bathed them or I took a shower.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I GOT 5 KIDS ND MY FIRST 2 WERE NATURAL BIRTHS, I'LL BE HONEST WITH THEY ARE PAINFUL BUT I STILL THINK ITS A GREAT EXPERIENCE. I'VE ALSO EXPERIENCED ENDUSED LABOR AND I THINK THATS JUST HARDER AND PAINFUL. i'VE ALSO HAD A C-SECTION . AND I WOULD STILL GO FOR A NATURAL BIRTH IF I COULD CHOOSE, I THINK ITS A PAINFUL BUT WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE.
    CHERRY78

Answer by CHERRY78 at 1:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• i think it is very difficult to have a truly natural birth in a hospital. that being said i had an almost natural birth in a hospital and am planning another for this summer! it takes a lot of research to make sure you are going to a hospital that is really supportive. some hospitals will pretend to be supportive but you really have to make sure. will they "allow" you to move freely? will they not require continuous EFM (monitoring), but maybe just 15 minutes at the beginning, and use a doppler after that? will they not require IV? would they "allow" you to eat and drink as you see fit during labor, let you labor and birth in a tub if you want, etc? also your provider is important. do they routinely artificially rupture the membranes? do they do episiotomies? do they "allow" you to push spontaneously/naturally rather than coach your pushing?

cont
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2010