Who Is More Responsible for Teenage Pregnancy?

The teenagers? Or the parents? (When I say "teens" I am referring to <18). The reason that this sparked my curiosity is because the majority of teen moms I know say they received little to no support from their parents regarding sexual choices, education or advice. Most times their parents preached abstinence..
What do you think? Do parents also have a role ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is both the fault of parenets and the Media. WHen I was a teen,my Mom answered all my questions and we dscussed the right and wrong of sex and the sense of responsibilty involved in sex. I decided I would not have sex unless I was in a serious relationship and alwys use birth control. I waited until I was 23 years old. In the 1950's, girls were never proud of having sex and they never wanted to be a teen Mom. It was only the poor, uneducated who got pregnant or even tried to have a sexual relationship at a young age. We didn't have MTV and the series about Teenage Moms. NOW...there is a constant stream of sexually charged and mature programs onTV all the time and nobody seems to think it is so bad to be having sex when they are young. THIS is why parents have to start early talking sense to ther kids. There is no way a teen or her parents can justify teen pregnancy.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Parents of teens no doubt!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• depends on the situation. I know dumb young girls who wanna get knockered up despite parental intervention support etc. I also know the parents who give so few choices and so little realistic advice and support that it is no wonder the kid has kids and she is struggling
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 12:12 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Its personal choice...my mother talked to me about everything..had my on the pill..and I still had my dd at 16
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• *had me*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I am also noticing this too and that a lot of these teens that get knocked up come from Christian backgrounds (abstinence only preaching)
    Anonymous

• *had me*
    Anonymous

• *had me*
    Anonymous

• *had me*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Don't get me started with teen pregnancy that's all I have to say because this is one of those hot buttons for me. But I must..... Yes I think that parents are responsible for their children's actions. These girls didn't wake up one day saying today is the day I will screw up my life by bringing a child to this world when I am a child myself. Something was lacking in their upbringing and I don't know what it was. Some are in denial about their parents deficiencies but I think there is a correlation after all. There I said it, I feel better. Sorry I just couldn't control myself. LOL
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 12:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2010