Have any of you tried Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover or FPU?

My husband and I are in WAY over our heads with credit card debt. Until now we have been able to manage our payments without falling behind, going hungry, etc. But I am beginning to feel really uncomfortable with our financial situation. We both admit we made huge mistakes with unnecessary purchases, and that we have a problem not sticking to a budget. I enjoy listening to Dave Ramsey on a Houston A.M. radio station on the way home from work and feel like he has common sense approaches to managing finances. I was wondering if any of you have tried his books or seminars and how they worked for you.

alleyway.ink

Asked by alleyway.ink at 4:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Money & Work

• I'm in the middle of reading his book total money make over and we got all the FPU material. We did do step 1 and was in the middle of step 2 when we had a huge emergency come up that empty our emergency fund... so we have to start over again :) But I'm glad we had that EF. (emergency fund).

Good Luck to you!

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I have read it. I love it. It goes against what everyone else is doing but the peace of mind you get from being debt free can't be beaten. This is a great read. It is tough at first when you are not used to living on a budget but between his show and the book it should help you stay motivated. I think the most important thing to do first is to have a "plasectomy". Then you can't use your credit cards and will be forced to live on cash. That is what Davey Ramsey recommends.

God Bless!
    BeckyWest

Answer by BeckyWest at 6:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I believe in the Dave Ramsey plan :) I would try both if I was you...I too listen to him everyday...and funny how evertime I hear someone scream "we're debt free" it makes me cry...we still have things to pay off as well...but the dreaded "b" word has us going!! Plus my soon to be 5 year old always asks when we're gonna call so she can scream it too!!! GOODLUCK...I think he really knows what he's talking about!!
    BayandMadsmom

Answer by BayandMadsmom at 12:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Yes, I read Dave Ramsey's book and there is a Dave Ramsey group on Cafemom - search dave ramsey and you'll find it. I highlyl recommend following his plan. It will give you hope and free your mind.
    Best wishes,
    Chrissee
    ChristineMom23

Answer by ChristineMom23 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Read the book, took the class, haven't used a credit card in over a year, finally have a plan and LOVE it!
    Wildmom315

Answer by Wildmom315 at 5:16 AM on Jul. 30, 2008

• We have been doing Dave Ramsey's plan and paid off over $20,000 in a year and a half! It's hard work, but it WORKS! Go for it!
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Yep it is AMAZING!!!! Getting our Emergency fund together right now!! I'm too excited to get this Snowball arollin!!!!!! =) THE BEST ANSWER TO DEBT BY FAR!!!
    nanababymama

Answer by nanababymama at 1:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2009