ultrasounds

when is an ultrasound most on point what trimester, I had 3 in the first 3 months and they all had the same day give or take one, but now im 5 months and they are trying to add 2 weeks now is it likely they are off now or was off then

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Only the one in the first trimester is the accurate one. The later the pregnancy the more off the estimates.

Personally, I didn't have any dating ultrasounds at all. And wouldn't have had any if it weren't for my husband wanting one in the second trimester to see that development was going well.

That said, if they want to add two weeks..let them. That just means they won't be harrassing you to induce if you go past that stupid EDD.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:30 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• well no they want to add 2 weeks no that wwould move my due date closer, first ultrasound was at 4.5 and there was nothing but 4 days later there was a fetal pole and then at 8 weeks a heart beat, not if this time is right that would put me at 6.5 weeks where there was no baby is that likely?? and taking a csection so i worry they will take the baby out too early
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The ones in the beginning. We were told at our first u/s that all babies grow the same the first trimester so it is easy to calculate by size how far along you are. That being said, with all three of my pregnancies then they tried to change my dates because my babies all measured small at the big ultrasound. My first baby came early because of a car accident but my other two both came 2 days after the date i was given, when the doctor had added 2 weeks to that date.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I thought you meant they wanted to add two weeks to your original DD. Sorry.

Unless there is a medical need for it..as in there is a proven problem in the third trimester, taking the baby when the dates are in question is a real risk especially for lung development. I'd approach that with real caution and avoid a c section and induction, personally.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:54 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• mm have to have a c-section for medical reason.. trust me if i could I would love to avoid it. U an just worried if they move the date that I could end up getting the baby take too early and i dont want that..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Don't let anybody mess with your due date. They all seem to think it is an expiration date. 38-42 weeks after you LMP was established as normal before US was ever invented let alone common. 41 weeks and 1 day is actually average for first time white moms. If you let them play with your due date, next thing you know they will be inducing you, then you will get a c-section and then they will make you work for a VBAC. Draw the line in the sand and fight now. Babies come when they come and stop trying to manage them. Tell your Dr. to sit on the lines like a freaking swimmer's life guard and do nothing unless the baby is showing true signs of danger. The more test you get eh more likely you will get a false negative that the crazy doctors will have to act on or risk a law suit.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• You must have some pretty serious medical issues to have had so many procedures. I hope that everything works out ok and you and your baby are fine.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• True medical reason for c-section: placenta previa (you wouldn't know yet) Placenta acertia (you wouldn't know yet) Bone deforemities caused accidnet of serious deased. Succesful VBAC have occured with verticle incisions and just about every other excuss that dr.'s give. Unless you have some really strange thing going on in your personal medical history I DOUBT IT!
    You also have the option of waiting until you go into labor before going for a c-section. It is called letting your baby pick his own birthdate. Look into it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• i definitely would go with the first trimester. after that measurements are very inaccurate. if you really do have to have a c-section, insist that they do it at 40 weeks by the first due date!!!! i would actually insist that they wait until labor started and then do a c-section. gl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2010