Advice on gettin my son to sleep in his own bed

Hi. I have a 3 month son who sleeps in the same bed as me. I don't really have a problem with it but my husband wants him to start sleeping in his own bed and room. I was really just wondering if 3 months is too early to put him in his own bed and any ideas on how to get him to do it. Thanks

okgurl87

Asked by okgurl87 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why does your husband have a problem with it? I would warn him that there will be less sleep since you will now both have to take turns getting UP completely to attend to diaper changes and feedings. No more half sleep in the bed and right back to snoozing. You could keep the crib/panknplay in the same room as a compromise. No matter what you do you have to be sure that the bed is not too VAST. It is scary for babies. You can buy a snuggle nest to make the baby feel secure and make sure the sheets are organic or flannel -- as they tend to be warmer rather than icy cold. The baby sleeps with us but we have a convertable crib set up sidecar style to give us more room...eventually...:) right now I like the baby who is three and ahalf months right in my arm pit. here is an example: http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• All that said. if the bed is going to be in a separate room, I personally would try to convince him to wait until at least six months after that growth spurt as that is the time when the risk of SIDS has passed.

Remmeber that when you put a sleeping baby down they will wake up if they are not in deep sleep. Look for the heavy head and limp limbs of deep sleep.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• 6 weeks is a typical time for babies to sleep in their own beds (my daughter slept in a bassinet next to my bed until 6 wks, but never in bed with me). It is not too early and you just do it. There is no special way, you just put your baby in the crib and walk away. It may seem cruel but you don't want to start a habit of sleeping with your child that you may regret later on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We put all 3 ds's in bed at 4-5 weeks of age. It is okay to put your ds in his own bed at his age. I never minded getting up to feed my boys. Actually, I enjoyed. It was so quiet in the middle of the night. I used to turn the tv on with the volume down so I could just look at him while he was nursing. It isn't an issue of whether co-shared sleeping is right or wrong. For us, it was that our baby was between us, and we missed our cuddle time.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• He's 3 months old does he really have an option about where you put him down at??? Seriously. Get ya a good baby monitor and put him to sleep in his own bed...Its not really that hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that answered. I really like the idea of a side crib. I'm going to try that. And to whoever answered that it's not really that hard to put him in his own bed, I just want to say for me that it is. I have a good monitor and I'm not afraid that he is going to be hurt in any way, I just don't like not having him with me.
    okgurl87

Answer by okgurl87 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2010