Could it be a rash, or just dry skin?

My 12 month old has really dry legs. I try to keep lotion on them after she gets a bath so they don't get too chapped. Today I noticed that her legs (where the dry skin is) were kinda red with little blotches, like you'd get with a rugburn. It isn't warm and she doesn't seem to be in any pain, in fact she doesn't seem to even care (lmao).

Have you ever dealt with something like this? Could she be allergic to the baby wash? I use Johnson's Head to Toe (and always have). I just don't want to go all the way to the doctor for this.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:41 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is probably really dry and she is scratching. If you humidify the air, and use and oily or balmy cream it will go away quicker. EVOO works well weird I know.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:50 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• When my son was six months old i had to switch to aveno oatmeal bath and lotion for him. He inherited his mommy sensitive skin.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It is just really dry skin. My daughter has horribly dry skin and also some eczema. The best lotion we have used is Johnson's Body Care Deep Hydrating Extra Dry Skin Lotion. Its about $6 for a 14 FL OZ bottle. We have tried so many but this one works the best. For the first time since she was a couple of weeks old she has baby soft skin!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Sounds like really dry skin. My oldest and youngest get really dry skin too. I use lotion (Aveeno) on my 3yo twice a day at least. If I don't keep up with it it will get chapped looking and then lotion will give a burning sensation which makes him fight having it applied.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My daughter has eczema, but a really mild form. I use Aquaphor on her dry patches and then use Aveeno on the rest of her skin.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It does sound like eczema, which is dry skin. Don't be fooled, just because a product says "natural" or even "baby" on it that it's a safe product. Johnson and Johnson's baby wash uses Quaternium 15 as a cheap preservative. Q-15 releases formaldehyde (what you used in your high school science projects) and it's one of the Top 10 most dangerous chemicals in the home according to the EPA. The same product in Europe has not Q-15 because it's been banned. Google Quaternium 15 to see a list of hundreds of household products that it's in! I shop wholesale for safer, eco-friendly products. Great lotions, soaps, and baby wash too! http://www.gogreenfor2moro.com

Dani
    babyjakesmama

Answer by babyjakesmama at 1:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It sounds like excema. Keep baths short and infrequent. No dairy. Put coconut oil on the afflicted areas.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2010