Have you ever done a fast or liquid diet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I have done a couple of fasts when I was a teenager (for a church feed the hungry fundraiser). I am not sure it really the thing to do when you want to lose weight though.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I like Slimfast. It satisfies me. I add the Protein Whey powder to add extra protein in it to fill me up longer.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 6:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I have only fasted for religious reasons. Diets and diet aids (if they even work) are temporary fixes. Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster - frustrating for you and hard on your body. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat at least 2 servings of legumes every day. You will lose weight. You will have more energy. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big pile of vegetables before meals

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• When I was in high school I was part of a clinical study for one of those liquid diets (same kind Oprah did). Lost 80 lbs, gained back 120 and lost my gall bladder (as did half of the other kids from the trial over the following years).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I did the Master Cleanse. it wasn't to lose weight but to try and clear up my psoriasis.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• did the master cleanse clear up your psoriasis?
    i did a vegetable juice fast for eight days, then slowly came off of it in 5 days.
    i didn't do it to lose weight, i gained back most of the weight i lost. i wanted to know what would happen, how it would feel...etc.
    i eat a lot of cleansing vegetables...so i don't think fasting is necessary. i know someone that takes a charcoal while fasting to help pull toxins out of the body. imo, that is a bad idea b/c it would naturally pull out good stuff as well.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I did SlimFast when I was younger and it worked. I didn't have a lot of weight to lose, only about 10 lbs and I only replaced one meal/day but it kick started my weight loss. I was able to maintain my weight loss after I quit the shakes, until I got pregnant with baby #4 - but I wasn't out eating fast food burgers every day either.

Answer by missanc at 4:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I've done fruit and veggie fasts when I was detoxing. A 3 day juice cleanse followed by a raw food diet for a few weeks is very good for resetting the body without causing starvation.

Women who fast tend to regain double bc estrogen prevents us from losing too much body fat. It's nature's way of keeping us fertile.

Some people have strong detox reactions to juice fasting. They get "sick" with flu like symptoms as their bodies release all the crap.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Liquid diets are not fasts... they are actually more healthy than most meals we throw together. They have the right amount of vitamins and minerals... Slim fast is not a good meal replacement shake because of the sugar content. Have you tried Nature's Way Metobolic Reset? You can do one or two a day!
    adri_nevarez

Answer by adri_nevarez at 8:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010