Does teenage pregnancy lead to public assistance more so then not?

There seems to be a lot of teenage mothers on here that are on assistance. Is this the case IRL as well? What can be done to stop this chain? Is it societies fault that more and more teen moms are relying on public assistance to support their children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree that it seems that a lot of teenage mothers rely on assistance from the government/state and do not feel bad about doing so. It kind of aggravates me personally, especially when I have spent my life working and paying taxes to support my own children and now theirs too. I understand people can have hard times, but most teenage mothers do this as a lifestyle, not as something for just a short time to get them by. I think it's because of laziness and a sense of entitlement that the youth of today have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• YES ABSOLUTELY! Teenage-Parents ARE on welfare!!!!!!
    I don't mind that so much as 40somethings on welfare though! If you are 17 and need help feeding your baby...FINE! But seriously people need to grow up SOMETIME!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I think so. I think it is more likely for young (not just teenaged) parents to be on PA. However, as with everything else, there are always exceptions. I think it is lack of poor sexual education, imo. PA is so common because many times, they do not graduate high school or go to college. This limits the choices they have in the career field which are probably not above minimum wage.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• If you are 17 and need help feeding your baby, you should not of had the baby in the first place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The U.S. has an outrageous teen pregnancy rate -- the highest in the industrialized world,Effectively preventing teen pregnancies would save the billions of dollars society pays to support a teen mother, her children and even her grandchildren, often for a lifetime. It also would break the cycle related to psychopathologies in our culture, including drug and alcohol abuse, fetal alcohol syndrome, drug-induced birth defects, dropping out of school, crime, domestic violence and poverty. If we keep doing what we've been doing regarding sex education and pregnancy prevention, we will continue to get what we've got: a tremendous waste of time, money, energy, human potential and an outrageous teen pregnancy rate that's associated with many ills of today's society," Parrot concluded. "Instead, we have to spend the money up front and provide girls early with the support and skills they need to have a sense of control over their lives
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• What about the teen mom who wanted to give up her baby for adoption but the father would not sign away his rights?
    Happened to me a few others at a teen mom school I went to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

Am I the only one that sees a problem with this? Why were these young girls putting theirselves in this situation in the first place? If the fathers wanted the babies did the mothers give them full custody?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

See the trend? Why would you want babies when you KNOW you can't take care of said child, the father should take the child don't make excuses if he didn't sign the b-certificate then he has no right and even then if he did he still doesn't because your not married seriously come up with another excuse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Teen pregnancy is part of a cycle of poverty. My sister is a nurse midwife who focuses on maternal/child education; she sees mostly welfare patients and regularly sees 28 year old grandmothers.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2010