Potty or Bed?

I have a 2 1/2 year old son Who is still sleeping in our bed and i really would like him to start sleeping in his own bed. Also I would like to start him on potty training he has shown some interest my question is which do i start first putting him in his own bed or the potty training?

shereew

Asked by shereew at 2:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would start with potty training!! then again, i would just make my child sleep in her own bed..a few nights of sleepless nights and im sure the kid would be fine in their own bed. as for potty training, that takes longer and should be started pronto!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:38 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I'd start w/ potty training, give him a bit to adjust to this new change before you introduce another change by him sleeping by himself. When you do transition him from your bed take a tee shirt you've slept in for a couple of nights & put it on his favorite stuffed animal, it smells like you & gives him something to cuddle w/.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I would start with the bed thing! You don't want accidents on your (non-plastic mattress)! Patience is KEY! It usually take 3 days to break a kid from something!
    And after he is in his own bed for a little while, then start with the potty training! Make if fun! Give him rewards....you could give him a sticker for trying, and candy for going! Or something that he really likes! Mine didn't like wet panties, so we let her run around in them and when she would have an accident we would talk to her about what happend, and then sat her on the potty. If they don't care if they are wet, then let them run naked! You will have a lot of messes to clean up....but I'd rather spend the money on carpet cleaners then diapers!!!
    JenE10

Answer by JenE10 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I would go the bed route too. I say this because it is common for a child that IS potty trained to regress back to having accidents if something significant in life changes. So if you potty train first then you run the risk of him going backwards when you try to switch beds on him.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My son just turned 2 on the 4th of January and is (daytime) potty trained and sleeps in our bed. I guess it's up to you what you would like to do first. :) We'll be getting him his own bed soon, but starting it out in our room, eventually transitioning to a separate room. I don't think there is a right answer for this. It's just what works with your family.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2010