How much should my 6 month old be eating?

My son is 6 months and suffers from reflux. In the beginning he didnt gain much weight, after he was put on the Enfamil AR he did great and started gaining weight and made up some ground. Now at 6 months he weighs 20 lbs. Yep 20 lbs!!! His doc didnt say she was concerned but I am curious how much and how often your baby including cereal and babyfood. I feel really lost, and he is my third child. My daughter has always been tiny and my other son was big (above average) but not as big. Help!

mommyofmaknchz

Asked by mommyofmaknchz at 2:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 32-40 ounces of formula is normal for 6 months old.

Baby food and cereal dont matter at this point. I only give my daughter a little bit every day as infants do not need that food for nutrition yet.

She is also on vitamins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I fed both of my boys till they were full and didn't want to bottle anymore, maybe you can try giving your baby just the formula and not the cereal
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:26 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2010