Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does a single mother go about getting the father's rights taken away?

He want nothing to do with our baby, and has numerous other kids, some he hasnt seen in years and others that he has never seen. I dont want the drama,plus he is a job-jumper. When child support catches up with him he skips out of his job. He is a convicted felon for child support alone! And has childrenin atleast 3 different states by numerous women. What steps do I have to take to get his rights terminated?

Answer Question

Asked by CindyB969 at 2:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • tell him to sign over his rights that easy...or prove he is a unfit parent good luck u dont need him anyway..

    Answer by firstimemomm603 at 2:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • If his name is on the birth certificate, a lot. It will take at least two years of abandonment and no child support nor communication between the two of you to do it... The courts are really harsh and arent likely to just take the rights away, regardless of how little the Dad pays attention to the baby and gives to the baby.


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • did you have him on the b-certif? Are you married?
    then he has no right.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • Uhm why did you get with him in the first place?
    Hire a lawyer, make a log at what he does with proof mind you. get the other mommas together, If he is a convicted felon then he won't be seen as a fit father.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • If he will voluntarily give up his rights, there are some forms you can fill out at the court house - you don't need an attorney. If he will not, you have to prove abandonment; google your state laws regarding this, not all states are the same. If you want to take him to court to get his rights terminated before the time frame for abandonment is up you are going to have a tough time. You would have to prove him an unfit parent. You will need an attorney.

    Answer by Scuba at 7:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • If you have gotten, or might get any form of public assistance, it's not likely a Judge will allow him to sign away his rights. Unless there is someone there to adopt him.
    And if he dies, your child will get no social security.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • Why on earth knowing all of this would you have a child with him in the first place? I would say that's your own stupid faukt and deal with it

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • Sounds like my daughters sperm donor, you no what is sad he might be. He loved who ever was around him at the time, but always made the woman he was with feel like number 1 and disrespected the other woman-sad part is they all kept coming back.. I ran for the hills...... see ya.....

    Don't let him know where you live? Don't do it out of spite, only if he is affecting your child. He was hurting my daughter-popping in and out of her life, like an idiot-finally after years of me chasing him to be a dad, I let go and he did too.

    So finally we moved on, and she loves her daddy-the man who is raising her now-!!!!

    I do have a box for her when she gets older, I am sure she will want to meet him someday out of curiosity....

    Answer by KFree907 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • oh, yeah.

    I just told him you won't have to pay child support anymore. wahhhhlaaaaa, bye bye baby, he was gone....

    Also, he knows where to find my family and friends. 5 years later he is still out of our life, mind you he has not seen his kid in 9 years, and 3 of the years he knew where she lived.

    Answer by KFree907 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

  • Most states won't let you unless another man (husband) wants to adopt them. No felons don't get their rights taken away for just being a felon (sex crimes maybe). If he is not in her life why is it bugging you so much just keep letting that CS payment add up then if he ever gets a settlement or tax refund it will go to you and the other women. Not to mention it will ruin his credit!!

    Answer by Fordmomma at 12:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
how do you feel?

Next question overall (Health)
What can I do for insomnia?