Do you Menu Plan ? How ? and what do you usualy plan ?

Just trying to get things more organized and easier done around here -not to mention save a dollar or two here and their

Moody1418

Asked by Moody1418 at 5:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If I didn’t plan meals and snacks at least one week out, I would be pretty lost at the grocery store. I know that meal planning cuts costs, time and stress.
    It might be easier for you to work backwards. Write down every meal and snack that you have eaten/prepared for the last two weeks. Voila! You have a two week meal plan!! Now swap out an old favorite that you haven’t made for a while; swap out that recipe that you have been meaning to make; ask your family what meals they would love for you to prepare. Once you get in a routine, it will take about five minutes to make your menus for the week. I keep my menus in excel, and my recipes in a yahoo email account; I keep copies of frequently used recipes in a word.doc.
    Here are recent dinners:
    Week of 1/4
    Sunday – no hurry curry
    Monday – tofu fish sticks, not crab cakes, sweet potato fries
    Tuesday – lentil sloppy joes
    Wednesday – stuffed peppers
    Thur

Answer by rkoloms at 5:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I usually buy whatever is on sale at the grocery store. Although I would love to plan my menus out.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 7:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• i always menu plan, it saves money, and time. Especially because i know, hey, if i make spaghetti, that will last us 2 nights, and also, i'm not buying more than i need to and spending more money than i need to. I usually plan for a 2 week stretch, first i plan out every meal. Then i go through and check ingredients, write down teh ones i don't have. Then i check our breakfast and lunch supply. and write down those items if needed. It really is nice to have a plan and it so less stressful!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I really should. We need to save more money and be more consistant with our meals in our house.

This is how I would do it. On a piece of paper write out the days of the week. I would suggest doing a two week meal plan. That will save you money and time. Then under/beside each day of the week write out what to have for dinner.

For Example:

Mon - Speghetti and Meatballs with Garlic Bread
    Tues - Roast Beef with Potatoes and Veggies
    Thurs - Cold Pasta Salad with buttered bread

For me it is easier to write out the ingriedents I need to buy on a seperate piece of paper. My grocery list, if you will. That way I am not having to struggle in the middle of the store to remember what I need for each meal. Remember, the best way to shop is to base your meals off of what you already have in your cabnits. If you already have two boxes of (contin)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• (Contin) if you have two boxes of Speghetti noodles, then just buy the sauce and the garlic bread. If you make your own sauce, then whatever ingridients you dont' have to make it should be baught. That way you're not wasting money by buying products that you already have. Remember. That not every sale is actually a sale and not every coupon is a good deal. Keep a close eye on what you're purchasing on the sale rack, so you're not getting jipped out of money.

I suggest using one grocery trip to stock up on dry and frozen goods. That way you're not having to run out quickly to buy hamburger or to buy noodles. The quick trips are the really big money eaters. The only things you should be going to get in between grocerie days are things like milk, diapers, fresh veggies/fruit (if you eat them fast), and things like that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:55 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I've got a 4 week meal rotation so I only have to shop once a month for the main stuff and once a week for the perishables.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I pre-plan our meals by going down a page labeling the date; i.e., Jan 1-, Jan 2-, Jan 3-... and so forth. Then after each date I write what we're having for dinner that night whether it's a meal I fix or our leftover night.

After I'm done I count how many meals with chicken, beef, pork and so fourth, I figure out what we have in our pantry/freezer/fridge and what we don't have and make a list to buy bulk what we need. I pretty much plan between 15 days (husband gets paid every two weeks) to a month. We buy bulk the meats and frozen/canned vegetables we will need as well as any pasta or sauces.

The rest such as cereal, bread, milk and such we buy at the grocery store every other week. I don't fix the same or set meal so the meals we fix often differ since I do like to make new things or mix things up so we're not eating the same things all the time.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 11:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I plan meals 4 to 6 weeks in advance. That doesn't necessarily mean that every meal is listed on the calendar, but I have enough meals for 30 to 45 days.

I made a list of all the meals my family likes to eat, around 50 to 60 different dinners. I take an inventory of what is in my freezers and pantry, then plan meals around what I already have. If I have to add an ingredient or two to my shopping list, I'll look to see if it's on sale. Then I'll fill in with inexpensive meals or plans for leftovers.

During the week I usually have 3 chicken nights, 2 beef nights, a vegetarian meal night and an "other" night like pizza. As I make the meals for the week, I'll mark them off my list for that period of time. The weekly menu is posted on the fridge so I don't get the questions of "what's for dinner?"
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I love reading all your suggestions and getting Ideas from other moms. Organization is my DREAM> i just cant seem to get it together enough to stay on task with it. Thanks its comforting to read how others do it...
    Moody1418

Answer by Moody1418 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2010