what do you feel about walmart& h&m stores caught slicing up old stock?

in the news this morning i read that someone caught walmart & H&M stores in NYC throwing out brand new clothes,coats etc and slicing them so no one could use them whats your outlook on this? me i am outraged and we need to protest & Boycott them

southernstarr

Asked by southernstarr at 7:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Shopping

• IF it's true, they should be ashamed. They could have at least donated them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• NOT SAYING THIS IS THE CASE HERE: Many stores slash, break, paint etc perfectly good merchandise that has been returned for a variety of reasons. Some stores take these returns, the ones that can be reused & donate them to different charites. There are laws governing what can be donated & what has to be destroyed, like you can't donate a returned pillow even if it hasn't been used. Instead of boycotting go talk to your walmart, figure out what items they have left over then find a group that can use these items. Its a tax write off for the company.
    Now as far as slicing brand new items why? Were they not selling & these companies had to make room for more stock or were they defective or were they....why were they being thrown out? I agree that these items should be donated instead of trashed if there was nothing wrong w/ them. They were slashed to keep ppl from digging them out of the garbage to wear or resale.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I agree with Nyx7. These are companies that are very adept at making money, I don't feel like they'd be slashing the clothes if there were any other option. Donations are tax write offs so that is still a profitable option for them. There must be some reason they would do this other than just pure laziness. Still, it is sinfully wasteful. Maybe they could have torn out the seams and turned it in as scrap fabric to some fabric stores or something so that people could still use the cloth to make something else...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:05 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• So sad. Most Walmarts are in towns and cities that have Goodwill's and salvation armies. Seriously I can understand expired food, underwear and pillows. But clothing in general. Why? It is like another poster that wrote and said that in Mcays' they break bottles of very expensive perfume in the backroom if does not sell. Why? Wastefulness.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My guess is that they receive better tax deductions classifying the merchandise as unsaleable, rather than donating it. They are in the business to make money - if it were worth it to them, I guarantee they would donate instead. The tax laws need to be changed to give companies bigger breaks for donations.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• another reason to love Walmart.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• shame shame!!--DID YOU KNOW-that JOANN'S THROWS AWAY THEIR SEASONAL ITEMS THAT DON'T SELL?!--(Or at least the one by me-in Texas does-as I was told by the manager!) WHY?!--SO NOT RIGHT!...
    Happy-Duckof6

Answer by Happy-Duckof6 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It has to do with the property/distribution rights of the manufacturer of the goods. I worked in retail and the "owner" of the brand determines what happens to unsold goods. If they do not allow the stores to donate them and dictate that unsold goods must be destroyed than in order for the store to carry that merchandise they must comply. When a store purchases goods, they are only purchasing the right to sell the goods in accordance with the manufacturers rules. If Walmart owns the rights to the goods they destroyed- then yes they are wrong. A boycott would need to be against whatever brand does not allow their goods to be donated. What a whacked out world we live in where certain manufacturers do not allow their goods to be donated because they do not want to dilute their brand. It is like saying "who wants to wear something that those in need get for free" SAD!
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 9:55 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• BTW- look inside your books, some say "if you purchased this book without a cover....blah, blah, blah" some authors refuse to allow their books to be donated. The book sellers pull the covers off and send them back for credit. the publisher does not want to have to dispose of the whole book so they have the reseller do it and they only get the cover. The same goes for most magazines. The stores send back just the covers as unsold and throw the rest away. I always thought it was so sad that we throw away books! Think of libraries, shelters, hospitals, what have you that could use those books. I always thought reading was a gift and something we valued in society- it use to make me even madder to destroy books than clothing! ;(
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 10:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I hate walmart. Yet another reason to add to the list.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 10:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2010