Anyone have any tips on how to get a 15month old not to touch things...like dog foor,tv buttons, ect . that they are not supposed to.My son does not listen at all when I say no he touches everyting a million times a day. Then it becomes a game to him.I think he is to little to understand time out!!Help

Derekt1

Asked by Derekt1 at 8:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I pick my son up tell him NO! very firmly and then move him across the room. Yes it get's tiring but it eventually works. We use to smack his hand but then he got to smacking us, so we had to figure out a different way to do it. And this is the way that has worked for me. :) Hope it helps!
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Kids @ that age are exploring their environment, make it as kid friendly & touchable as possible. Put away the things (if possible) he's not supposed to touch. When he starts to go for things you don't want him touching redirect him, get his attention w/ a toy or ask him to help you w/ something. If its a safety issue like the power cord & he just won't leave it alone lightly smack his hands, not meant to be a punishment just to draw his attention to his hands & tell him NO then pick him up & put him somewhere else w/ something else to do. Decide what's really important that he not touch & the things you would prefer for him not to touch. He's also testing his boundaries & discovering what's ok & what's not so make sure your reaction is consistent.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• do we have the same kid? lol i just try to keep him distracted from that stuff. i tell him no and take the stuff away from him that i can.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• OMG my dghtr broke our TV buy turning it off and on. We had to pay 300 just to fix it. My husband put black tape over the button to camoflauge it. Just keep as much as you can out of his reach and babyproof as much as you can. Good Luck.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• move whatever you can out of his reach until he is out of the "everything is a toy phase". I sometimes smack (of course not hard) my daughters hand and say "no touch". I have to be repetitive, but that is how they learn. Now there are some things that I have moved that I can leave alone and she doesn't touch them now. I am sure it is going to be another few years before the everything is a toy phase is completely over, but my daughter is much better as time goes on.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 8:59 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• smacking the hand worked for me...i only had to do it a few times and then he got to where he would look at me and try to test me cuz he knew it was wrong so he would kinda do the reach and i would just have to say "no" very sternly and act like i was gone come over and he would take off.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:15 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• He isn't too young to understand time out. Children understand a lot more then the majority of people give them credit for. Especially if you're consistant, follow through, and don't give empty threats. My son is a prime example that 15mo old children understand "No" and time outs. I have been giving him a time out since he was mobile. He's a very curious boy and loves to investigate everything that I'll allow him to. When he gets into something I tell him "No." then if he does it again I give him one warning. "I said no, and if you do it again you're getting a time out." Then if he does it again without fail I swoop him up and put him in his crib for a time out. He knows when he's going to get in trouble. He knows what he's doing something he's not supposed to.

When your child turns it into a game, that's them testing how far they can push you before you actually force them not to touch it. If they (contin)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• He is not too little to understand time out. We have done that with our daughter since 14 months and she listens very well. We also have taught her what things like hot and oww..that hurts means so now we can tell her no that is hot or no oww it will hurt you and she wont do the thing we are talking about.
    For example every time the oven is open or someone has a lighter she will say "uh oh is hot no no" and walk away.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• If they can turn it into a game at that age, then they can understand the concept of a time out. Toddlers are notorious for testing bounderies, limits, and your patients. They're learning and exploring the world. If limits and bounderies are not put in place at a very young age, then it becomes harder and harder as they get older to inforce said bounderies. As they will have already learned what buttons to push on you and what reaction they get.

You do not need to use violence (spanking, smacking the hand, etc) to punish a child. That only teaches them anger and violence. When you smack a child they learn that, that is how you punish those who are doing something wrong. When you have a second child they'll smack the sibling and tell them "No" to enforce what they want/don't want done. I personally don't want my children growing up believing that violence is the answer. Do you?
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Wait stalk and attack! Seriously. Hide, and RIIIGHT before their chunky little fingers make contact with whatever JUMP out and yell DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then get right on their level point and say NO NO do NOT touch, DANGER! NO. Firm. Keeping your words short and firm. And then pick them up while saying no no danger no put them by THEIR toys and say there good boy-girl. TOYS. Works great at such a young age.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2010