Has anybody experienced frequent UTI with using condoms?

I recently went off the Mirena and we started using condoms but Ive noticed since using condoms I have had an on going UTI. I have been and still am on antibiotics and the UTI seems to get better until we have sex again and use a condom. In the past (3 years ago) we used condoms and I never had this problem. Not sure if its even possible for condoms to cause a UTI. Anybody know??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Health

• They use to irritate me with my ex. I hated them. Thank God Im married and dont have to use them anymore. Always empty your bladder after sex bc bacteria will stay if not and cause the dreaded UTI
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Happens to me EVERY time, and I find myself avoiding sex because of it. Perhaps it's an allergy to the spermicide or to latex?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:54 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• not me. it's when we use lube that i get a UTI.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:15 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Mirena causes vaginal dryness, condoms cause it the same..Your not supposed to have sex with condoms when you have a IUD..Its supposed your only protection..In fact your really not supposed to..you might want to rethink it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• anon :42. if you re-read her post, it says that she recently went off mirena. so, she no longer has it.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It could be an allregy, as a PP said, to the condoms. Or it could just be that you need to empty your bladder before and after sex. It clears the area of bacteria and can help in preventing UTIs. I know this helps me a lot, cause I am a person who ends up with em frequently if I am not careful. You could also try showering with soap that is perfume/dye free(hypoallergenic). You'd be surprised how much that can help... especially if you both switch. good luck.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Thanks ladies to all your responses! Ive just never had this problem before in the past and wasn't sure if using condoms again could be the cause. Its really the only thing different that I have done recently. Anybody recommend a UTI free condom?? :) lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• have you tried female condoms? they have more coverage and it might help. i also agree w/ the other pp's, bathroom before and after sex. i usually show right after too. i get uti's very easily and i found that it helps tremendously.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2010