Can you fly with a rear facing carseat?

I have a SK Radian, a rather tall convertible car seat and my child has only ever ridden rear facing. It can go forward and she's old enough for the minimum, but I'd like to keep her RF for the flight so that she can be relined and comfy as she's used to. It'd also be much easier for going from the plane to the car if I don't have to replace the straps or put the base back on. The manual says it can be RF on a plane but I've never flown before. Is it allowed or practical?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• check the carseat with your luggage, hold baby in your lap. this saves you on buying a seat for the carseat too. Airlines don't make you purchase tickets for kids under 2, you can just hold them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• i do not believe that you can strap a rear facing car seat in correctly with the waistband seatbelt. i jsut got back from a trip with a 9 month old and let me tell you it is a B*t*h to lug the car seat through the airport with your carry on and the baby also. you can bring a stroller and get it checked at the gate and hold the baby in your lap. then when the flight is over, they will give u the stroller back when you exit the plane. that is what worked with me. we ended up on the way back checking the car seat with our luggage and saying screw it bringing it on the plane. it was a pain in the a** to me husband and i. lap babies are free though.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 10:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I agree, put her on your lap. It's a huge savings not to have to buy a ticket. Gate check the stroller.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:30 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• She's over 2 years old. Is it safe to keep her in my lap and not in a seat belt the whole way? Is that even allowed? I don't mind buying a ticket for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• If she is over 2 then you will need to purchase a ticket and another seat for her. As for the RF car seat I am not sure how that would work. Maybe call the airline themselves and see if anyone on the phone would be able to tell you whether or not that is allowed. Check with your seat manufacturer as well maybe they have something in the book that came with seat detailing whether or not that is possible. Either way best of luck to you. I have flown before with a toddler, car seat and carry-on luggage it is a less than pleasureable experience, espeicially getting through security and on and off of the plane.

Again, best of luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Yes you can RF in a plane. We did with my oldest when we went to visit my ILs. Just make sure your carseat is FAA approved first.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I would probably just put her in the seat belt. Less aggravation than dealing with a car seat while everyone is trying to board. She might feel very grown up and special in a regular seat belt. The thought of lugging a car seat through the airport just seems like too much work for me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2010