Isn't breastfeeding suppose to get EASIER as baby gets older???

I AM GETTING SO FRUSTRATED WITH BREASTFEEDING! I DON'T WANT TO FORMULA FEED, BUT I AM NOT GETTING ANY SLEEP STILL AND MY DAUGHTER IS 6 MONTHS NOW. THE LONGEST SHE SLEEPS IS 3 HOURS, PLEASE SOME HELP ME!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try giving her some water when she wakes up or a pacifier. it could be she is craving the sucking motion instead of food.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 10:03 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• She still has a teeny tummy. My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept six solid hours; 14 months when she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis. Keep her in your bed at night; you will be able to sleep/doze while she eats.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I have a 6 month old too who is breastfed, no solids yet ... and we are up every 3-4 hours also. I think he needs the extra calories, and since BM is the perfect food for babies, they digest it much quicker than formula. Stick with it if you can or you could try getting in a few extra nursing sessions during the day (or an extra pumped bottle) Good luck!
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 11:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I've co-slept with my son since he was born and that made night time feedings so much easier. That way you can just roll over, let baby latch on and go back to sleep.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• co sleeping and breast feeding hardly interrupts your sleep. i never felt tired with my first two singletons, but then had twins, and even cosleeping was exhausting. a pacifier might help, that is how i got my twins in their own room when they were 1.
    good luck! it is so hard to be tired! Do you nap during the day? that helps too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• it is normal for babies (breastfeed or formula fed) to wake frequently for months and months and months. my son woke about every 3 hours until he was a year and a half old. i really doubt switching to formula would help your situation. she will still wake. try the book "the no cry sleep solution". good luck =) i know what you are going through and it sucks!
    Anonymous

• I hear that is the way it is since breast milk is more easily digestible than formula. i will be breastfeeding my 3rd baby here in March and kinda nervous about this (and other things, too). I've had breastfteeding nightmares lol.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I will make a note here. Even if you switch to formula it does not mean your LO will sleep any better. Based on my personal experience, I breastfed twins for 8 weeks then started supplementing. After I started giving formula, Tristen started sleeping worse.

My son is a year old and breastfed. He recently has been walking up about 4 times after I lay him down. I think his is because of an ear infection. But when he is not sick he still wakes up twice after bedtime.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 3:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Chances are, even if you formula fed, she'd still wake frequently at night. Babies wake up at night. Their stomach are small, and can only hold so much before they're empty again, and hungry.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2010