Should I try to fatten my son up?

My 20 month old had his first visit with early intervention. She told me he's small which I knew, his dr has been saying the same thing his whole life but is not worried about it. He's not scrawny, he's just small. So the lady who is supposedly a nutrionist told me to feed him more fattening things like butter and oils. But I don't want him to be fat! She also said things like avocado and sweet potatoes which I get. But should I feed my son bad fats just bc he's small?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm in your boat.My son is a little fart too! As long as he remains within normal growth for HIM,I wouldn't be worried about his weight.If you want to add extra calories to his diet,stick with the veggies,not animal fats.Butter will make him fat,and clog his little arteries.We give our son Ensure to make sure he gets his nutrition,you could try pediasure if you'd like.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Np, health should be more important than getting a child to gain weight. There are healthy foods that have a lot of calories but i still wouldn't feed the child that every day to make him gain weight. Some kids are just small, it has nothing to do with what you feed them.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• No.. oils and butter the kids still do actually need in their diets, clearly not enough to get them FAT but enough to get some calories if needed. My son is small too, but I went to a dietician for his chronic constipation and abdomen issues, and she said for me to make sure to give him oils and butter because they DO need fat.. no, every one seems to think these days that kids should be plump or in size 5t at 2 years old, I run in to this alot- my son is skinny and petitie, its his make-up, that's all. I am not feeding my son garbage to get him to add weight, it will set up some bad lifelong eating habits! I am sure you are doing perfect!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Kids need some fats in their diet, but you shouldn't resort to things like butter without consulting your dr first. Olive oil is a good fat - my son loves pasta and I toss it in olive oil before he eats it for a little extra fat. My middle son was very small and they told me the same thing - butter and oil. He didn't drink milk, so he got no fat that way and wouldn't eat sweet potatoes and avocado - it was a texture thing for him. However, he's just programmed to be on the thin side and at 10 he's still in the 3% even though he eats like a bottomless pit!
    Just feed your son healthy foods and make sure he's getting some type of fats in his diet.

Answer by missanc at 12:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2010