Any natural ways for constipation of a 10 year old?

They want me too:
Give a pill, and hour later give 5 capfuls of this other stuff with a 1/2 gallon of gatorade and then a hour later another pill.

I love my ped but I am sooo uncomfortable with it...

She is really backed up ....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Prune juice along with warm baths. We go through this with our oldest. When she gets stressed she will hold it. So when she gets so bad. I will put her in a warm bath for a bit to get her to relax. I put the prune juice in the freezer for 20mins. It tastes so much better with it really cold. I even tryed it like that an like it much better too. She with in 2 hrs will let go.

I hope she feel better soon.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• A teaspoon of mineral oil will lube up the intestinal tract. Give benefiber daily to prevent from happening again. you can mix it with anything. On sprinkle it on cereal.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Just drinking a bottle of gatorade should do the trick though. Might cause diarhea
    motherofhope98

• Why is a ten year old constipated?
    She should be drinking lots of water, eating fruits (not banana), vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Children get constipated. It's part of life. My son get frequently constipated and he eats tons of fruits & vegetables. They are a big part of his diet because he is allergic to many other foods. It happens. don't be judgemental
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• rkoloms everyone is different.

When we were going through and still do at time with our DD. We tryed changing her diet. That did not work. We came to find out that when things change to fast or she is stressed she gets constipated. It was something she could control and would hold it in.

It is just a childs way of having control of something. That we as adults or parents can not control at all. So even if she eats a balanced meals does not mean a child can not get constipated.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• my 13 year old still deals with this occasionaly- during the summer it got REALLY bad...he was eating a lot of eggs- he loves them. I was researching what to do for it again because he has had the problem off and on his whole life...and found somewhere that eggs can cause it- I no longer let him eat them all the time now- only about 3 days a week and he has been better since...not to say it won't happen again but it seems to have helped
    he would sit in there forever and scream and nothing would happen it was HORRIBLE -when he was younger around 9-11 I used to make him take benifiber or whatever and that didn't help much- or if it did...I would have hated to see him without it
    and yes he eats veggies and whatnot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Magnesium Citrate works fantastic and it is all natural. You can find it in most health food type stores. The brand we use is Natural Calm for Kids. It has a nice citrus-y flavor and it fizzes when you mix it with liquid (water or orange juice or kool-aid, etc....choose something that won't taste terrible when mixed w/the natural citrus flavor of the mag. citrate). It is the only thing that has ever been effective for my teen w/IBS.
    Anonymous

• Could you try miralax? It's not all natural, but it might be a better option than what your ped is recommending. Or, just a one time laxative would probably be better than what he's suggestion, too!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2010