Ear Infection Question

My daughter is 13 months old and she has her first ear infection in both ears. I have 2 questions: She's been on antibiotics for one full day but she still has a fever of 102.4 is that normal to still have a fever? Also, the pharmacist told me not to give her any dairy products 30 min before or after giving her the amoxicillan (sp?). Why? Thanks!

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sometimes the dairy can interfere with the amoxicillian, and yes the fever is normal. Amoxicillian is one of the lighter antibiotics, which is a good thing! It works wonders but isn't as fast acting as the others. Again this is a good thing. So just keep her comfortable and she will be feeling better soon
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The fever is normal, just give her a little tylenol to make her comfortable. I've never heard that about dairy products with the amoxicillian but I'm not a pharmacist :-). Good luck and I hope she gets better soon!
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 10:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The majority of ear infections are viral, not bacterial; if you child's infection is viral, then the antibiotics are worthless.
    Elminate dairy, keep her well hydrated and don't let her get overheated, start giving her a (refrigerated) probiotic and vitamin D every day.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:54 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• for the pain you can put a warm damp cloth on her ear and it will sooth the pain my son has had ear infections all his life for the fever give him childrens advil and a cool bath
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 8, 2010