Second one??

We have a six month old little boy and we want another one, anyone have any suggestions on what age that our little man should be when we start trying to have our second one? I've been told that its easyer to have two in diappers then to have one in school and a newborn.

SHANDA-21

Asked by SHANDA-21 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would wait until your first kid is 2. That way he is a little bit more independent and he is playing by himself instead of being in your arms.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Never got the two in diapers is easier thing.I'd wait til one was toilet trained,but thats IMO.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I had my second when the first was 19 months. It was difficult! :-) Rylie wanted to help with the baby but he wasn't really old enough and that upset him. Plus, he wasn't really very good at sharing Mommy and Daddy. He is three now and I'm pregnant with our third and he is very excited. I think he understands more this time. I would wait a little while anyway and give your body time to heal. The Doctors say that it takes almost 2 years for your body to completly heal from having a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It just depends on your family. We have a 5yr old and 5 mo old. I would like to have another by the time my baby is 18 months to 2 yrs. I do like that my older son is able to help and likes to play with his little brother. He is actually asking when we can have another baby.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 10:59 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• thank you guys! i also heard the biggest step is going from one to two and that after that going from two to three is not that bad
    SHANDA-21

Answer by SHANDA-21 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• 3 years apart worked great for me..My oldest was potty trained and could feed and dress herself..I feel if you have babies to close in age they don't get the full love and attention they need. Also when my girls are older they will be close enough in age to be friends and relate to each other without the competition of being only a year or two apart..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Mine were only 15.5 months apart and I've really liked it. I potty trained my older daughter at 19 months and that all went fine. This year they started nursery school (different classes), soon they'll be wearing the same size clothes (they're 16 months and 31 months now). Like I said, this worked great for our family, and especially for our family situation since my husband and I are now about to start tenure-track prof. positions. However, I got a lot of criticism, sometimes from complete strangers, about not giving my body time to heal. It has to be something you feel ready for. Being pregnant and chasing a toddler is not easy. Although the first months of having 2 were pretty easy because I wore the little one in a wrap constantly and she just went where we went. Any age difference has its pros and cons...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It's really up to you and what you can handle. My boys are 1 year and 362 days apart. I love having them close together, they learn so much from each other and they are each others best friends most days.

It was pretty hard at first though. We didn't have any family in the area and I had my hands full but I'm glad we had them when we did.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 1:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I got pregnant with my 2nd when my oldest was 6 months. There is 15 months between them and I'm happy about that. They are 9 and 8 now and very close) although they fight a whole lot more now then when they were babies. When #2 was 4 months old I got pregnant with #3. There is 13 months between them so the older 3 kids are 9, 8 and 7.
    When they were 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 6 I got pregnant with the 4th. It sucked. My oldest was in kindergarten so I was constantly having to get out to get her to and from school (no car, she took the bus which meant standing on the corner). The older kids got into a whole lot more trouble then when they were babies/toddlers at that age. Now the youngest is 3 1/2 and lonely most of the day because her siblings are in school so she's constantly wanting my attention (whereas the other kids played with each other).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My kids age gap was great I thought, Lili was potty trined and quite independant at 2 years 2 months when Dom came so it was quite easy to look after both, well easier than it couldve been I guess. They are close enough to be friends, I dont think I couldve looked after 2 babies if they were closer in age. It really is up to you guys but you do need to think of yourself and let your body heal. i wouldnt be thinking about it until Hayden is sleeping through the night either, or youll have 3 or 4 year straight of no sleep. I cant wait until theres another LO in the family tho!
    MamaZena

Answer by MamaZena at 2:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2010