Day care question

I have to put my daughter (who will be 9 weeks then) in the day care at my school for three hours one day a week for this coming semester. I want to make sure that she's not just going to get dumped in a playpen - what kind of questions should I ask the director? I know that they have a seperate infant room & that mostly Child Development/Education students work there, so I do feel like she'd be getting attention. This is my first baby, so I just don't know how the day care thing works..

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 10:50 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Okay, first of all there are laws regulating this kind of stuff. They are not allowed to "dump her in a playpen." They can only go their bed if they are sleeping. They must be held while feeding. They must also be given appropriate tummy time and can spend some time the excersaucer as long as they are content. They are not allowed to be in the bed crying for more than 2 or so minutes. They must be changed every hour or two. Ask these questions to the director, but I can tell from working in a nursery that all of things are definately regulated.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:54 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Go to the center when you can observe the staff with the children. Don't be afraid to ask the director about your specific concerns. They know your child is important to you, and they know a first time mom leaving her child at day care for the first time is going to have lots of questions and be very nervous. If the director blows you off or you witness staff sitting around chatting and oblivious to the sounds of babies crying then you'll know you don't want to leave your child there. I expect a center at a college with child development students will be a good center. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Ok, that makes me feel so much better. I really didn't want to have to put her in day care, but I HAVE to for these few hours.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• You can also make visits once you put her in daycare. I would come by at luch time or pick my son up a little early. That way they weren't expecting me. Most daycares are good ones though, and the children are well taken care of.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 10:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• "You can also make visits once you put her in daycare"

I was planning on stopping by in between classes to nurse or play with her.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Best thing to do is to just stop in. Since you have students there, I'd actually feel better about leaving her. Since this is their career choice, the most likily really enjoy children and will give your child great care. Stop in random times to see how the teachers interact with the kids. The room should have bouncy chairs, swings, blankets on the floor for tummy time and age appropriate toys for as baby grows. For just a few hours, your child my end up sleeping most of the time, anyhow. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I worked at a daycare for almost 2 years. Make sure you pay attention to everything because sometimes when you do a tour you see a good day and some of the problem teachers have been warned to be on their best behavior. Ask questions and dont be afraid to peek in on breaks to see whats going on. Every daycare has cameras running 24/7 and dont be afraid to ask to see when your child was there if you feel your child has been mistreated. You can also ask for a copy of the state laws we have to follow. In the infant room especially, there should be a chart for each child for their feedings and when they get changed, THATS A STATE LAW, if they are not following that make it known to the director that you know they have to and you'd appreciate it if they did. A trick to know how often your child is being changed is. Put on a certain brand of diaper before you take her in and bring a different brand of diapers with her.
    krisholl2285

Answer by krisholl2285 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• also they are suppose to write down the childs name and time on each fresh diaper ( thats how it was at my daycare ). Its hard to trust other people to take care of your child but make your concerns known and talk to the people who are going to be taking care of your child while she is there, making the caregiver feel like shes important and you respect her and trust her to take care of your child will give you the upper hand.
    krisholl2285

Answer by krisholl2285 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2010