Can acne flare up when you make healthy changes to your diet?

I'm at the end of my first week of my transition to vegetarianism and a more active lifestyle. I've had clear skin for a few years now, but all of a sudden I'm breaking out all over. Could these healthier changes be triggering this?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 10:54 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• could be, but hormones are also a big factor in this. I am soo prone to acne it seems like no matter what I do, I still have it. Pregnancy (oddly enough) was the only thing that cleared it. LOL. Talk to you doc about it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• i honestly doubt its the veggies. lol

BUT- when your body begins to acclimate, you'll start losing weight- toxins are stored in fat cells and when you lose the fat the toxins run rampant through your body and you have to detox, acne is one of those things that is brought on by weight loss. it could most definitely have been triggered indirectly by your healthier choices. but those foods and choices are not what would be the cause (do you get what i am saying?).

when I was pregnant with dd i gained over 100 lbs- i am now a sz 6 but i was a sz 20+ for a while. it took 3 years to take it off, and i gained excess weight with this last baby as well, i lost 80 lbs after he was born.
    about 5 months ago i went vegetarian again (i had been for years before i got married), and i feel soooo much better- if you want some good ideas or just someone to vent to, i'm always available.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:08 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It could certainly be a byproduct of your body doing a bit of detoxing.

Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (she uses Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:18 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• a lifestyle change doesn't only change your weight, everything gets overhauled. from the inside out, and your skin is the only way for some of the 'toxins' to escape.

I'm sure that once your body becomes used to the new way it will regulate itself. but be more aware of your skin care regime for sure.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• How is your food combining? Food combining properly will ensure you don't suffer from these break-outs...usually acne is a sign that your digestive system is being over-taxed...if you aren't properly combining food then your body will have to work harder to digest it all.

I found that I had a few break-outs just wouldn't go away until I did this. I only have break outs when I don't combine properly. A good site for reference on this is http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/application-of-food-combining-principles/application-of-the-food-combining-rules.html

Alternatively a great book for this is Fit For Life by Harvey Diamond.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Our skin is our largest organ. We detox through it constantly.

Make sure you aren't getting too much soy or dairy-- both can screw your hormones big time.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Could these healthier changes be triggering this?

Does your more active lifestyle include sweating on occasion? You can tweak all sorts of combinations of foods to see if you break out more or less, but if you're sweating, chances are that's causing a lot of it. If you can't fully wash your face right after you work out cause of Joss, get some oil-free wipes and at least use those right after.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2010