Do you have a heated swimming pool?

Not that we're thinking of putting in a pool

but I'm just wondering, do you use it if it is cold out? what is the coldest temp. you have swum in? is your electricity high? I'm ready for summer lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We're still in an apartment, I think management would get cranky if we put one in. lol But it's on our list of things we want when we get a place of our own.

We want to see about having a solar heater for it though, every little bit help. Although we're planning on most of our house being solar or wind powered.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We considered putting a pool in but we decided not to. It can hurt the sale of your home and never adds any value. Our last home sold 30 days quicker than our neighbors. Our homes were the same floor plan their home was two year newer but they had a pool. They put their house on the market two weeks before we did and we sold 30 days before they did and for 20k more than they did. Their home was in great condition but many home owners don't want pools even in warmer areas. They are expensive to maintain and so many things can and do go wrong with them. I would find a nice above ground pool so you have something to keep you cool in the summer but you can take down and get rid of when you go to sell down the road.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• wh had one put in at our house in New Mexico. When we left to come to Utah as the market was getting bad- the pool is actually what sold our house- there were many in the neighborhood that had been for sale for months and ours still sold.
    So it could be a good or bad thing...
    we were lucky- although the house sold for less than we wanted -it was kinda like throwing in the 35,000 dollar pool for free.
    It had solar panels for heating. we used it a lot...but I am a wimp and won't swim unless the water is at least 85 (I actually barely used it-but everyone else sure did)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• *oh and yes your electric bill wil jump- we were annoyed in winter because it cost a lot for something we couldn't/woulnd't use...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Ours is an above ground and it is heated. It is a steel wall pool, not a blow up pool, so it is not taken up and down. Ours is heated by gas not electric. Our bill can go up if we run it non stop. We don't usually. It really extends our swimming season. We live in NW Ohio and we can open ours early and close it later than most. We love our pool, and if I move, and the new owners don't want it, I will sell it, and I sure will have a new one wherever I go. I love knowing where my kids are in the summer. Granted we have a lot of traffic at our house between family and friends. Sometimes I feel like I am running a bed and breakfast, but it is worth it. Our pool is lit at night and is amazing. They don't cost much if you know what you are doing as far as keeping the water chemicals balanced. I would not want to be without one. I work for a pool installer.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• salexander ~ I'll need your home address please and let me know when you get that baby heated up again so I can be at your doorstep with my swimsuit and towel in hand. :)

I would love a pool, heated or not, so much! I don't think we could afford the maintenance, though. We need to find some new friends around here.....anyone else live in northern VA and have a pool? Hehehe!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Our neighbors across the street have on that can use any time we want. We use it mostly when the g'kids are here. We don't swim in the winter.
    Anonymous

• Owning a pool is a big investment.  Its not satisfying if you can only use it for about four months only in a year.   But if you are going to use a custom Solar pool heating system,  you can swim and enjoy from March to November.  If you are living in Austin Texas this site is helpful >>> Austin Solar Pool Heaters and contact them how they can help you to lower your energy bills.

annaloumercado

Answer by annaloumercado at 1:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2010