If you feel like you should be dead, but know you would never commit suicide, does that still make you suicidal?

This is a genuine question. Yes I'm battling depression and PTSD. Yes I'm seeking help, not just from CM lol. I just want to know where this feeling falls into because I honestly don't know.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 11:22 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Health

• According to my doctor, counselor and all the psych classes that I have taken, thinking about suicide does not make you suicidal. It is when all that you think about is suicide and you attempt it, that is the issue. You are on the right track with recognizing that you have a problem and are getting help. Follow what your counselor says and you should be ok. Also, remember it is not the counselors job to fix your problems but to give you the skills to fix them yourself. Only you can fix yourself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Yeah, you are suicidal...severely depressed, just like me. It's good you're getting help. Talk about it as much as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It is a start leading to suicide. It will come to a point that you will long feel like being dead but how can I be dead. I'm glad you are getting help and keep seeking help. I kow when I was going through depression and my Dr asked if I had suicidal thoughts. I told her no but I wish I was dead at times. She put me on meds and counseling right away. I wish you best and remember there are lots of people out there that want you here and love you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I dunno. I have a similar issue but don't say I am suicidal. However, I feel like I should be dead because after you plan your death for 5 years and then don't follow through it just seems like you should be. It makes life interesting knowing you never thought you would see the day.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:41 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Yes and the scary thing is suicide is sometimes a completely impulsive act. I'm glad you are seeking help but please admit these thoughts to your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I don't follow through because I'm afraid I'll screw it up, end up in the mental ward and while I'm in there I'll lose my apt. and come back to a life that's more fkd up than my present one!
    Anonymous

• Hope you feel better soon... been there, and I know how painful it is.
    Anonymous