Why do people donate to Lockes of Love?

It's a fact that Locke's of Love charges patients on a sliding scale according to their income for a wig. They also sell surplus hair to other companies for cash.

There are many other non-profit organizations out there who take hair donations-such as Wigs for Kids- and give the cancer patients the hair pieces for free, and yet Lockes of Love remains the most popular.

Do you think it's fair to charge families for wigs made from donated hair when they are paying so much for cancer treatments? If they are a non-profit organization and run by volunteers, should they sell surplus hair in order to fund their business or should they depend solely on monetary donations from people?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:29 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That's the most known. Other organizations have other means of income. Panteen for example does the wigs thing. But they also have a business to support them. Locks of Love is purely a not for profit. They sell some hair to raise funds. They collect hair. And they sell some wigs to families if they can afford it and give them away if they cannot. Then the money raised from hair sales, outside collections, and wig sales can be used to help give more away. They are operating as any business/not for profit should and I see nothing wrong with their approach. I will continue to support them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I donated to them and a little girl recieved a free wig from them. You always have something to complain about don't you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I always give to locks for love but I didn't realize that they charged people for the hair. I would have to wonder how much money they get solely from monetary donations if the could survive without selling the hair then no they shouldn't charge. They still help people out so I rather them sell the hair then go out of buisness.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Get the word out, what are the other companies????

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Anon... My own daughter donated her hair in honor of my little sister who died from cancer and she donated it to Wigs For Kids because they NEVER charge clients for the wigs. I just think it's wrong to make sick and dying people pay for a little dignity. If I'm complaining about anything it's not enough people realizing those clients of Locks of Love are PAYING for the wigs.

Here is the site for Wigs For Kids:

http://www.wigsforkids.org/

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I know Pantene also runs a program for hair donation.

Also there is a program for salons to donate hair clippings that are then made into pads that soak up oil spills!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 11:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• my daughter is a hair dresser and i dont think thats the way it works...they do locks of love once a yr and the girls get a free hair cut ...i will ask her....i know alot goes into the hair once it is cut.its just not made into a wig .the hair has to to be strippped of its color and chemicals.
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I hoped they wouldn't charge for any thing! My DD donated her long gorgeous hair to that program. On my Birthday! What a Gift was that!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Based on the FAQ, Wigs for Kids also sells some of the donated hair. Also, while they boast that they do not charge, if you read through their website they do strongly encourage partial payment and families recieving a wig to help raise funds for wigs for kids. It doesn't matter what organization you go to, they cannot do it all without raising money via some means. At the end of the day, all of these type progams helps those that really need it and others as they see fit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• ASKING for partial payment or help with fund raising is very different that CHARGING upfront. I guess I just want people to do things out of the goodness of their hearts and not worry about making a profit. It makes me sad to think not enough people volunteer in order for the hair pieces to be free for everyone. If i lived nearby one of those places, I would try and help because cancer issues are something I'm passionate about. I guess getting the word out and sending them what I can is at least doing something.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2010