what do you do when you 18month old no longer listens to you?

my son will do things that he is not supposed to do and i will say tell him no don't do that, or , that hurts stop. and he will not even think twice and do it again but my father just has to say no once and my son stops in his tracks...it is sooo frustrating! any one have any advice to get my son to listen to me better?

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is testing his shortly known boundries. they are always worse or more testing with their parents so don't compare. My mom would watch my son and the minute I walked in the house the whining would start.. just redirect and be consistant and tell him no over and over and over. it took a couple months at this age for my son also, but he's 2 now and listens VERY well copmpared to most of the 2 year old's that I come accross!! and I've never had to hit or spank. We started time outs about 16 months also
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• 18 months is still little and they dont listen very well. Your husband's deep voice probably intimidates him. Just guide him gently by placing your hands on his shoulders or his arms. Make him look at you when you speak. As they get older, I like to make them repeat instructions back to me. GL.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2010