Babysitting my sisters 2yr old, TANTRUMS!!!?

Logan, my nephew, is 2 yrs old. I babysit him full time. He has these tantrums and is inconsolable. His parents just give into these tantrums but i dont feel that its right to give in. He favorite word is no and spankings just make it worse and time outs...well he wont stay were i put him. im at a loss.

BABYnME610

Asked by BABYnME610 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore, ignore, ignore. He is mad and frustrated. Its an emotion even adults have. Toddlers need to act out because they cant express in words what they need or feel, well some can some cant. Let him have his emotions but you need to ignore it, say nothing and place him safely in his own spot to deal with it. GL! He willl get the idea that he gains nothing from you by his outbursts and it will get better.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Try choices or trades. Like if he has something that hes not supposed to have like glass or something. Tell him that you will trade him his favorite toy for it. If he is trying to do something he knows hes not supposed to do throw out other options like do you want to watch your favorite movie or get bundled up and check the mail? It works for my kid If I can avoid a temper tantrum I will. My kid still throws them but I do not react, ill just continue with what ever i was doing.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• ↑ great advice armywife.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I agree with the PPs. Give a simple instruction as to what he should be doing... like, " we don't___." And instead, offer an idea of, "How about we___?" Use as few words as possible. If he doesn't warm to the idea or doesn't respond to your suggestion, just make sure he is safe and doesn't have something he shouldn't and let him have his fit... just walk away without a word. Some kids need a little time to work out their feelings and you not giving in will let him do that. When he's done with his fit you can then once again offer him your suggestion of, "Now would you like to...." KWIM? That way he knows that he's not going to be punished at all for his being emotional. And maybe next time it will cut down on the duration of the tantrum. Luck to you.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I say ignore too. As soon as he realizes that he can't get over on you I think he will stop the tantrums.( with you)
    Anonymous