Should we move our ADHD son out of public and into a private school?

We are struggling somewhat with our non medicated 7 year old ADHD son. He's on an IEP at our public school. However, he has low esteem, wonders why he has to go see the teacher who teaches the "special" kids, wonders why he's in trouble a lot, thinks he's stupid because he's academically behind (he's not), and generally is the weird kid and has few if any friends.

We are considering spending a ridiculous amount of money to send him to a small private school instead, where it seems they may be more inclined to help kinetic learners, let kids move around more, focus on esteem more, etc. But it's a tiny school, and the additional resources the public school is required to provide aren't going to be guaranteed.

Would love to hear from others who've gone through this decision.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in

• oh this is a stuff one the only advice i can give you is decide what best for your child
    my son w/ADHD go to public school because they can provide more services but i choose to have him
    moved off campus and put in a classroom where the kids are all a lot like him
    maybe you could talk to the school again and see if they have something like this where you live?
    hugs, PM me if you need to talk more
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Discuss this with your child's therapist. He/she knows your child, how he is progressing in "learning how to learn", and where he will be best off. We are strangers...

Answer by rkoloms at 12:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We had to make that choice w/our dd. She was in public school from K~2nd. She had good experiences in K and 1st grade. The teachers were very tolerant and seemed to understand that she might need more attention to keep up etc. She did well and I never had a reason to worry that she would not be able to keep up w/the class. When she entered 2nd grade she got an older teacher who did not seem to like her very much. She was impatient w/her even in front of my dh and I at a special meeting we had to discuss her progress. We tried to get her out of the class but the principal wanted to fight us. It was one thing after another till she had actually fallen behind and her self esteem was damaged. She was preemie and a spring baby so it made sence that she could be held back a grade but once again principal wanted a fight. I decided to look at options. We found a very nice place sounds like where your ds is going. Cont.
    Anonymous

• Cont.from above post~My dd is getting everything she needs at school. She did have to go on medication this year because she just could not focus on her own,it helped give her the independance she needed to keep growing and learning. We stll struggle w/myserious lost papers and sometimes she will still refuse to read something or whatever but we have a better situation. I don't think you can lump all public schools together and say they don't help ADHD kids. I don't think that a private education is always better than a public school. It just depends on what is best for the child and what that particular school can and is willing to offer a child. I really hope that whatever you decided is the best fit for your ds. For my dh and I,ADHD has ment us making a scrafice on the Money situation but this is our kid and we feel compeled to what is best and what are able. GL;)
    Anonymous