I am going back to work and having a hard time dealing with leaving my 2 year old son in daycare. I know he will be devastated and so will I but I have to work (part-time M-F 9-2). How do people get thru this??

TheresaMM

Asked by TheresaMM at 11:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Br very upbeat and positive when discussing daycare with your child. Tell him about the friends he'll have to play with, the different toys he'll get to play with, the fun activities he'll get to do, and the cool stuff he'll be learning. When you pick him up ask him all about his day and act excited even if you are feeling heartbroken. Your son will probably adjust more quickly than you do. Try to think about the good things he will be experiencing - most daycares offer fun learning activities and opportunities for your child to learn how to be a friend. When you pick your son up and catch a glimps of him playing and laughing with his friends you'll start feeling a lot better about the situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• he'll be just fine if anything you'll be a wreck for a week or two he'll play with new freinds and toys learn , he;ll be fine! goodluck at working again!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Ive only took my kid to daycare once, he cried I felt like shit. When I did work my grandparents watched him most of the time he was ok sometimes he would scream mommy mommy. I just try to get out of there as fast as I can so I cant here him screaming for me. Keep in mind that the first couple of times will suck, but once he makes friends and sees how fun it can be it wont be so bad.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It will be hard at first because of his age, but after a while he will love it and it will be good for him and for you. My kids have a blast at preschool, they are 4 and 2. They go for 2 full days a week, and actually, to save money I'm pulling them out for about 6 months since I am able to work from home, and I am totally heartbroken to have to do this to them. They get so much out of their school, friends, learning, incredible crafts, outside fun, field trips, etc...way more than I can give them.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• You need a major change of attittude! You will be better able to send you child to college and have a comfortable retirement; your son will make new friends, you will make new friends and gain new skills and experience.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Kids are very good at adapting to change. He will not be "devestated" unless you make him feel that way. Most kids will adapt fairly well within 1 to 2 weeks. In fact, most kids will scream and cry when you leave, and the be fine not but 10 minutes later and play all day until they see the kids going home. Be consistant with your drop off and don't make it long and drawn out. Give a kiss, say bye and leave. that's no. no turning back, no extra hugs. He'll play off of it to keep you there longer. Try not to worry to much. Most day cares are great places. He'll be in good hands and learn so much from his new teachers and friends.
    Anonymous

• Know that after the first couple of weeks, once it's routine, he most likely will look forward to going. They make daycare a fun place and tend to do lots of activities to keep the kids moving.
    I know how you must feel! My kids were in school when I went back, but I still had to take them to a before school care - and they were old enough to not want to get up and not want to go - and complain about it! lol

Answer by missanc at 4:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I recently had to go back to working in the office instead of from home and I have a 2 1/2 year old that I have always been home with. I didn't have to put her in daycare but my mom watches her three days a week. At first it was very difficult. My daughter cried and carried on. She did pretty good the second week but sometimes would still cling to me and scream when I had to leave. My mom said she only did that for a few minutes after I left and then she was fine. It has been two months now and my daugther actually looks forward to going to my mom's on those days. I'm sure it will be the same with daycare since your child will make new friends and learn new things. It will be hard on both of you at first but just know that it will eventually get easier. Plus you have the satisfaction of knowing you are providing an income for your family.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 4:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010