earrings?

so stupid me thought that getting my daughters ears pierced when she was like 8 months old would be better than waiting until she was old enough to understand them. My theory was that at 3 i knew it was going to hurt, so i will get my daughters done so she doesn't have to go through that. Well, up until recently she has left them alone. Now, she keeps pulling them out. Usually when she is in bed and I can't see her to tell her to stop it. Anyone else experience this issue with their toddler?? I am getting sick of putting them in constantly, and i don't want to just forget about them and let the holes close, but now it seems like that might be the only option.

xtwilightx

Asked by xtwilightx at 11:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could you take them out at night so at least she isn't wearing them in bed- especially because you can't see her and if she is getting them out I would worry she could swallow them or choke on them. The holes shouldn't close up overnight if she has had her ears pierced for a while.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:50 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• maybe try hoops
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• If the holes have healed properly, they shouldnt close regardless. You could always go to a body piercing shop and get some earrings that are really freakin hard to take out. =P Twisty, screw ones. They look like normal earrings but the closings are entirely different and made this way so its harder for them to come out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• yeah i thought about it, but then i thought there might be more of a chance of her getting them caught on her blankets and such and actually doing some damage to her ears.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:41 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• i had screw on ones and she was tightening them to the point where they were cutting into her lobe. I have tons of piercing hoops, i just don't think she is ready for that yet.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I agree, I'd take them out at night at least. But what's the big deal if they close up? She doesn't need them pierced at 3 even, when she knows it will hurt. She may not decide she wants them pierced until she's 10 years old or maybe never, but is this really a problem? I would worry about her swallowing them or hurting her ears if she's taking them out. Since they're small enough not to be approved for a toddler to handle, I would not want her to be able to hold them without being supervised.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• sorry i am not a perfect mom like some.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• There's a good possibility that they won't close up, even if you leave the earrings out for several years.

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• If that was directed at me, I apologize if I sounded critical. All I was trying to say is that I would worry much more about her being alone in bed with a tiny earring than about her holes closing up -- because she can always decide to get them done later.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010