I was wondering about the birth control shot for contraception. Has anyone tried it? I am wondering about the side effects and how long does it take to get out of your system if wanting to conceive again...

This would seem to be the best alternative for me. I am thinking of this method for birth control. I like the idea of how private it is and how you only have to get it every 3 monthes and there is nothing to do before intercourse. How did this method work for any of you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible

Answer by rkoloms at 12:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I tried the shot and hated it. i bled all the time and gained weight, moody. the list is endless.
    motherwanting6

Answer by motherwanting6 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Let me add a few other noted on the diaphragm. If your allergic to l;atex you cannot use them. If you want tru effective ness they should be used with a chemical filled foam or gel. If you are allergic to non-oxynol9 you cannot use the foams or gels. It must remain in place for HOURS after intercourse. It must be placed inside the vagina before intercourse...OH, and if you want to have multiple sexual encounters over the period of the night..you must get up and re insert more gel or foam.

The shots do use hormones they are very effective . Some women have pretty drastic reactions to the shot, as do women on the pill, and on IUD. Just google what you are thinking about and educate yourself on what seems like it will work best for you.
    Anonymous

• I was on the shot since I was 14, mainly for period control, which while on the shot I had absolutely NO period. Which I thought was amazing and great. However, the only side affects I had was that I couldn't loose weight easily. I never gained any but couldn't loose any. Others I know that have been on it gained some weight but it was between 10-12 lbs. Also, it has SOME risks of contributing to cervical cancer when you are on it for a long period of time and osteoperosis (which is low). When I decided to get pregnant I would not take my shot at the scheduled time and within 2-6 months was pregnant. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I love the concept of Depo however after this baby is born I'm getting Mirana because I want to loose about 40 lbs. lol Good luck. Remember, everyone has different side affects, you need to think about what you are willing to risk and the benifits.
    Anonymous

• I had been using the shot for close to a year when I got pregnant. I didnt have the side effects that most women complain of but it didnt work for me. Id recommend it only if you are prepared to face the possible side effects, gaining weight, mood swings, depression, etc. And you need to be ok with the fact that should you have any of those symptoms, you cant get the hormones out of your system. You have to just deal with it til the three months is over.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2010