doctors appointments confidential?

i asked my son pediatrician if i could set up a code word for accessing things such as dr appointment times and dates because im going through a custody battle with my ex and im scared he will attack us if he knows when we wont be at the house. they told me know that anyone is allowed to call and request that information. how wrong is that! what is your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My childrens school told me the same thing, unless I give them a court document stating they are not to be released to him or any info given to him they had to let him ask and or leave with them....I got a court document!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Until the legal system states he cannot ask for that information, he has the right to see any and all information with the pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't fall under HIPAA, but if you have an injunction against him for you and your son, then they should not give out the information.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Your doctor's office is wrong. Bring them a copy of HIPAA regulations.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• OP-it wasnt even the fact that they can give it out to him since he is the father. they said anyone, including random creepers can access his appointment times. by the way his father isnt even listed on the contact list
    Anonymous

• I've never heard of that... Maybe you should try switching doctors.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry but I don't have an answer for you. I would suggest contacting your lawyer and asking them.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 1:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Switch doctors. That is against HIPAA laws. My son's doctor won't even tell the school why he was at the doctor, just that he was seen and when he can return to school. They won't even give a time of the appointment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2010