How do i get my 1 year old to stop hitting himself in the head when he gets upset or tired?

hes been taking his fist and hitting himself in the head when i lay him down for naps or bedtime or when he gets angry or frustrated. i dont really want him getting into a habit of hurting himself when he gets frustrated i want him to find other avenues of expressing himself but hes only 1 so i dont know how to stop this behavior. its not learned, as his brother doesnt do it and he is not around any other children.

Jakeandnatesmom

Asked by Jakeandnatesmom at 12:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is generally a phase that they grow out of.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• you just wait it out. One day he will do it a bit too hard and decide it's a bad idea.
    Anonymous

• he knows his tolerance for pain like they said it's just a phase Poor little guys can't express themselves plus their learning all kinds of emotions.
    vikings_beauty

Answer by vikings_beauty at 12:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Also make sure you don't react to it at all. If he sees you get upset about it he will learn he can do it to get a reaction from you. So no laughing or grimacing when he does it. All three of my boys have done it at one time or another and it doesn't last long. He will realize it hurts and stop doing it.
    Good Luck and keep a straight face. :D
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My son used to do that. It really worried me, but then I read up on it and it's apparently a normal stage that some babies (mostly boys for some reason) go through. Like someone else said, don't react and try to distract him if you can. He will grow out of it.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• There is a thing no parent ever wants to hear is a word call autism. Google it on internet the syntoms and see if he has other syntoms, if so have him screened. Some children do this and means nothing, others do it and means early sign of autism.

I don't mean to scare you, I just want you to be aware and informed. My hope is that it is only frustration for not being able to communicate just yet but just in case there is something else, read on it.. Does your son makes eye contact?, Does he have joint attention? Is he prone to extreme tantrums?, Does he flap hands?, Does he walk in tip toes? Hopefully is just a phase but do some reading to make sure. Good luck and I hope he is okay.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• thank you mommies for all the answers. i will wait it out and see if it subsides. and to bebita, i have an autistic sister. she is on the severe end, and i am familiar with what to look for. nathan makes eye contact and is standing and crawling up stairs and had made all his milestones on time or early so i believe autism is not a concern for us. thanks again all!
    Jakeandnatesmom

Answer by Jakeandnatesmom at 1:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• my daighter also does this when she frustrated and the doctor told it was just a phase so dont worry about it right now
    rellcinko

Answer by rellcinko at 4:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2010