hand fed or parent raised?

I am going to be getting my first cockatiel in a few weeks, as soon as we can afford it. I have two choices, I can go to the breeder and get a hand fed bird or I can go to the pet store and buy a bird that was fed and raised by its parents. They are honestly about the same in price so does it really make all that much of a difference?

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 12:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Get a hand fed baby. I have handfed hundreds of baby birds-worked in a bird store/breeder. Anyway-parent raised birds are flighty and are usually scared and are more likly to nip at you. Handraised babies are used to people and look to people for food and attention. They are very sweet and most of the time cost more-bc of the time and effort it takes to raise them, but trust me they are well worth the extra money. It will save you from months of forming trust and hand taming the bird and teaching step up and other "bird manners". I have three handfed parrots and they are wonderful and love attention. I have two parent raised cockatiel who despite my best effort just want to be in a their cage and left alone. If you have any specific bird questions (pellet diets, cage size, training ect) feel free to pm me.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• It does... I'd get the hand fed bird. They are used to people, and will be MUCH easier to handle than birds that haven't been raised to tolerate people handling them. Believe me, it makes a WORLD of difference. Besides, I don't think anybody should ever get pets from a pet store...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The PP hit the nail on the head.. I used to breed Tiels myself.. ALWAYS go for the HF over a PR bird. Their personalities are like night and day.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:15 AM on Jan. 9, 2010