Can a 6 month old have dreams???

For the past 3 weeks Danny been having these dreams ( I think).. He goes to bed like 8:30 and then wakes up at 10:00 screaming his head off every single night then he won't go to bed until 2 am..

Mommy2Masa1213

Asked by Mommy2Masa1213 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes and no -- yes they have dreams, they process the information they're exposed to in their sleep just like we do, but no, they couldn't be conscious of them or remember them or conceptualize the dreams the way we do. I think if your baby is waking up crying, it's not because he's scared of monsters. Probably just that he's waking up and you're not there -- it's his natural reaction. Until he learns to soothe himself back to sleep, he'll need your help. But not being able to go back to bed for several hours, that sounds like something else going on ... is he getting good rest during the day? He could be overtired and need an even earlier bedtime. If you're going in to him, keeping lights off and your voice quiet, checking his diaper and giving him some comfort, and he's still not going back to bed, I'd talk to his doctor about it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• those could be night terrors my son has been dreaming since week 1 you should talk to your doctor about it just to see what it is or isnt
    Anonymous

• Research indicates taht fetuses have dreams while in the womb. What you are describing could be

1.- Not ready to self suit himself back to sleep which is very normal at this age
    2.- Night terrors which will be hard to diagnose at this stage

Hang in there and try to be that calming influence for your child. Does he seem as if he is still asleep while he is terrified and screaming? or do you think he is fully awake simply upset that mom wasn't there when he woke up?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Hey! Thanks for all of ur help.. I talked to his doc and he said all babies dream so I'm happy.. BUT lately he hasnt had any so thats good for me since I get my sleep..
    Mommy2Masa1213

Answer by Mommy2Masa1213 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2010