When will it end?

WASHINGTON – Lack of confidence in the economic recovery led employers to shed a more-than-expected 85,000 net jobs in December even as the unemployment rate held at 10 percent. The rate would have been higher if more people had been looking for work instead of leaving the labor force because they can't find jobs.

The sharp drop in the work force — 661,000 fewer people — showed that more of the jobless are giving up. Once people stop looking for jobs, they're no longer counted among the unemployed.

When discouraged workers and part-time workers who would prefer full-time jobs are included, the so-called "underemployment" rate in December rose to 17.3 percent, from 17.2 percent in November. That's just below a revised figure of 17.4 percent in October, the highest on records dating from 1994.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100108/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is really sad and the fact our Liar and Chief has put us even in more debt with programs that hinder job growth in the name of creating jobs is pathetic. I don't know what the solution is reason I don't run for office. To hear Obama or any other politician claim the stimulus is working infuriates me since so many are going hungry and losing jobs. They blame Bush but Dems helped create this problem too. They blocked regulations that would have stopped the mortgage crises that happened. Republicans wanted them but Dems blocked it said the fundamentals of Freddie and Fannie were fine. Too bad they were very wrong and what many Republicans said would happen happened. I was not shocked anyone with a brain who followed politics or the economy at all would have seen this was coming.
    Anonymous

• When discouraged workers and part-time workers who would prefer full-time jobs are included, the so-called "underemployment" rate in December rose to 17.3 percent

I find this incredibly depressing.

Anonymous

• lol to anon
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• When we have an administration that actually DOES what they SAY they are going to do is my guess??
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I find it interesting that people prefer to attack the bearer of bad news, rather than address the issue.

UPS has just announced it will be laying off more people. A business associate of my husband's has just informed us she is going bankrupt. She has laid off her last four employees, and is stiffing us for $1500. I know her she owes others much more, and they won't be getting paid either.

Unemployment and underemployment are serious issues, and the U.S. economy will not recover until these rates go down. We pay our elected officials to work for us, and job creation needs to be at the top of their list. If it isn't, many of them will be unemployed soon as well.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We pay our elected officials to work for us, and job creation needs to be at the top of their list. If it isn't, many of them will be unemployed soon as well

It isn't their job to create jobs

Anonymous

• You won't know it's over until it gets better. Then you'll look back and go "oh, that's when it started to turn around"
    Anonymous

• "It isn't their job to create jobs"

So Obama lied when he said the stimulus money was to stimulate the economy, and help create and save jobs?

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Sure, the economy is getting better.  Tell that to the 85,000 people who just lost their jobs.  

Anonymous

• Hey, but we just committed more troops and $$$$$ to the Middle East. There's some ppl who are working. Too bad we can't focus on the this country and infrastructure here.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2010