My husband is losing his job ....

Found out today my husband is most likely losing his job in the next 45 days...I have never worked before, I just finished school, got married, had kids ( 1& 3 year old ) ...I dont know how to drive...which I am going to learn and get my lisence as soon as the snow is gone ( which here in Ohio...could be April! ) .....My husband has been looking for jobs for awhile becuase he just didnt like working there ...and hasnt found anything...I am looking now and I am just lost...... We live in a small town...I have done alot of serches ( on the internet and by calling ) everywhere in town and right outside of town....

I am going ot keep looking for a job and so is my husband...and I have never thought I would have to ask this but.... What are options on public assistance? ** and before any bashing starts...we would only be on it while we NEED it **

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Contact your local social services department...you'll get guidance on what's out there.

Tell hubby to ramp up the job applications...five a week isn't really enough. Since he's got a tech background he likely knows about dice.com. Indeed.com is a great aggregator of ads. And craigslist can be useful too.

It's NOT easy. Mine's been out of work for nearly eight months. He's sent out HUNDREDS of resumes...and has had interviews but no offers. Hang in there.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Honey don't pay any attention to the bashers. They have nothing better to do with their day than make you feel worse than you already do.
    Right after my second dd was born (Amber) I mean the next day, her dad lost his job because he did not have a work permit (he is from Mexico) and they had to let him go or they were gonna get fined big time. Anyway, I was freakin' out because we had a 1 1/2 year old and a newborn, and neither of us was working....so we did the only thing we could do. Went to the public assistance office and explained the situation to them. They gave us 500 in cash per month for six months, and 800 for food. Plus I also got WIC for the girls.
    Some people look down on those who need public assistance. But I don't know what I would have done if it hadn't been for the government help we got for those six months.
    Don't feel bad if you need the help. Besides, it's only temporary and you aren't the only one.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 3:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• also..I forgot to add he does have resumes out there...he sends about 5 per week ( every week basically , and has been sending them out for months ! ) He even had a professional do his resume for him after not haveing very good luck with his original one.
    Anonymous

• well the real reason he is losing his job is because of a real witch...she use to work in his dept. with him...and now she has moved up to a position above him...she didnt get along with him or 2 other women who worked now...and now all of a sudden ( she just started working at that position, like 3 weeks ago) they are getting evaluations and only those 3 are getting told that they will most likely be losing their jobs after 60 days...One woman is old enough to just do retirement, which is what she is doing, and the other already has a new job lined up...so now he is left. He does transcription for a hospital...so he has training in that ( and medicla records and alot of things involving paperwork with hospitals) ...but he went to college for computer stuff...he knows how to fix them and is also a certified webmaster ( makes websites) ...
    Anonymous

• His first day of unemployment, he needs to file for unemployment compensation. He should do this in person, so he can find out all of the programs and training opportunities available to him. What kind of networking is he doing? Does he have an up-to-date Linkedin profile? How is he conducting his job search? Is he writing customized cover letters? Does he have a great resume (or several), written in a "human voice" that really tell who he is? There are many more job hunting tips in the CafeMom group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 2:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I am so very sorry. This is so unfortunate when the government keeps saying that we are on the upside of the recession. They should be meeting with, and speaking with, people like your husband around the country who are still losing their jobs and having a difficult time finding employment. Even McD's is tightening their belt on hiring new people and that has always been unheard of!
    I think you will get a lot of information about applying for help from many members here so I won't add more to it all. If anyone dares to bash you just ignore them....ignorance will never learn.
    I truly wish you well and pray that there is a job for your husband real soon. Keep the faith sweetie!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Hopefully he can get unemployment but dont expect a ton of jobs to be open. The economy sucks and youll be joining the closer to 20% of people in this country without a job or underemployed.
    Anonymous

• You can't file for unemployment until you don't have a job. Only if he is fired for cause can he be denied but you can appeal. Don't say no to daycare, you can really rake in the $$. People change daycares all the time because they expect the owners to be nice to them and they can't if they are too busy. There's your niche.
    Anonymous

• well i know someone that got fired froma job and was still able to get compensation from them for that job. it takes a couple weeks to process but once everything goes through, they make up for the missed weeks in the first payment or so as of the date that they received the paper work. i don't believe he can file just in case. i know in my state you can't. it has to be the day of the last day of work. until then, you can still try for PA, especially if he is not working may hours. you can try it for now, take what you can get and once he is done working the benefits will increase until he finds work. GL
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• If he gets fired though...could he still get unemployment? ( he thinks you can only get it if you are laid off) ... and about how long does it take to get ? Could he apply for it now...just in case he gets fired?

I thought about daycare...but we got this little house until we found our big house to buy ( thank god we didnt find a house to buy !) ...but this house is wayyyy too small to have a daycare... I thought about maybe 1 or 2 kids...but we already have 2 daycares here and there are already a ton of "babysitters" listed in the paper.
    Anonymous