My 2 year old watches too much TV

Any advice... I know, just shut it off right? I do, but then sometimes it ends up on again. I'm curious... what are the negative effects of too much TV??

My doctor said no more than 2 hours per day (maximum) and I'm trying... but she's addicted to Dora and my husband will just turn it on for her without consulting me. And it's so easy to give in when she just wants to watch her show... she's very active and I don't see any effect it has on her (besides spacing out and wanting me to move when I get in her way).

emilyschildcare

Asked by emilyschildcare at 3:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take the tv out of the room or unplug it.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:33 AM on Sep. 13, 2008

• I dont think that theres anything wrong with it as long as she is involved in other activities and is progressing in her development. My daughter watches tv all the time and shes very smart. I think that shows like dora and other teaching shows help them progress. Just make sure she is getting other stimulation and not just only television.
    Oldham80

Answer by Oldham80 at 3:36 AM on Sep. 13, 2008

• in my opinion as long as they are educational shows its ok!! i know with my daughter i used to always want to put real movies on for her..like cinderella, lion king, etc..but she wouldnt sit and watch them, then i realized maybe its a good thing she doest like them, because the kids tv shows are way more educational!! as long as youre not using the tv as a babysitter, id say all is well..and of course if your child is still getting plenty or excersize and learning time
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:48 AM on Sep. 13, 2008

• I do think too much tv is harmful. i think children need more play, even though its easier for us and them to just watch televison. my son is 3 and I have to say, "no more". And i have to strongly encourage him to get out toys, puzzles, play in the yard or have book time. Most times I sit with him and color, paint or build. i would say daily i try to not go over 2 hours, but that is with a lot of other planning and structuring his day.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 4:07 AM on Sep. 13, 2008

• Kids need to get up and move instead of frying their brain cells staring at the television all day. We have put major restrictions on tv watching and we're all much happier. My kids have to ASK to watch television and most of the time we say no, and they ride their bikes, or read a book or play a board game instead. They only watch about an hour maybe 2 at the most of television every day.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2008

• My son is the same way. He LOVES Dora and Diego.  We actually have to unplug the TV and listen to a tantrum.  I started using his shows as a reward for completing activities.  For instance, he has to say his numbers in English, Spanish and German and then he can watch a show. This has really motivated him.  He is almost 28 months old and he counts to 12 in English by himself and almost to 10 in German and Spanish by himself.  I recently started adding his colors and ABC's.

tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2008

• Thanks for your ideas. I have been doing a few of them already... She's very smart and I have a daycare so she's always with the other kids playing and being active. My husband doesn't think there's a problem... so that's part of the problem. It will be off and he will turn it on if she asks him to. At least they are educational shows. I also use Dora as a reward a lot.
    emilyschildcare

Answer by emilyschildcare at 1:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2008