How do you know when they're actually potty trained?

DD has been potty training for 3 days (no, I don't expect her to be potty trained immediately!) She hasn't had an accident yet (knock on wood!) and still wears diapers at night (of course!). When did you finally feel like you didn't have to constantly ask "do you need to pee?" or make sure they were on the potty 20-30 mins after they drank anything?! Yes, I do understand every child is different, but I want to hear some experiences instead of generalizing please! New mother ;)

Oh, and she's just over 2 years old!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• It sounds like she's in good shape... If she's doing that well, though, I would start letting her take the initiative, especially since you've already seen her tell you she needs to go. I would still remind her now and then, but when you're playing at home and are in a situation where you can deal with an accident more easily, I wouldn't take her to the potty unless she says she needs to go or unless she's visibly trying to hold it (i.e. squirming or doing the "pee pee dance"). You won't want to have to worry about whether or not another care taker will think of taking her often enough or things like that, so having her be the one responsible is always a good thing. But as you said, you're really early in the process... 3 days is great. I'd just try letting her take the reigns since she seems capable, but don't stress over it. My daughter's been trained about a year and I still make her go before we leave the house.
    GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Haha..my son is 13 and I still ask if he needs to go before we leave the house...LOL I think I didn't stop asking or worrying about it until he was in school and I knew he had to know on his own. Or actually maybe when he said, MOM, I AM NOT TWO!!! So, awhile. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I still ask mine. they're 8, 6 and 3. they all forget or get involved and just dont think about it so have to scramble when they realize they gotta go NOW.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I still ask my teenagers if they have to go before we go anywhere. Its just part of having kids. I consider kids potty trained when they dont need to use a diaper at night anymore, or can get up and go on their own without being prompt (while in the home not traveling).

Answer by gemgem at 2:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• my stepkids are 5 and 7 and both have had accidents this year. The oldest i think did it on purposebecause she was in trouble. THe youngest simply forgets to go. She only does it if she is excited(christmas morning too involved in presents to potty) or we have something special to do. She did it haloween and again the other day when we had a pagent at the church. I luckily did not have to do the original potty stuff with them. I met them at 4 and 6. The youngest is giving all the experience to me though, she refuses to wipe and requires destin. I should be prepared for dirty diapers when I have a baby of my own. Good Luck momma, you will know when not to worry about her so much.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2010