How do you know when they're actually potty trained?

My dd is 2 yrs... just started potty training 3 days ago and hasn't had an accident (knock on wood!). She still wears diapers at night (of course) and I don't expect her to be potty trained this month even! I know she will have accidents... even years from now. But, I would like to know when you can stop asking "do you have to pee" every 5 mins... or not worry about makeing sure they are on the potty 20-30 mins after drinking! She is telling me when she has to go and everything, but I just want to hear some other experiences. When did you KNOW your child was potty trained during the day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• You know your child is potty trained fully when you see them deep in play , get up , without prompting from anyone, run into the bathroom, do what they need to do on their own, with no help, and then come back out and go back to playing without telling you they went potty.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 8:45 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I guess you just know...after days and weeks of no accidents! My son wasn't really ready to potty train til shortly after he turned 3 and when he got it, he got it! I think he only has had one accident since and that one was in the middle of a really bad temper tantrum and he hasn't ever wet the bed at night, either! He also annouces when he has to go and he'll run to the bathroom every time and pull down his pants and sit on the toilet. I never have to ask him except before we head out for a long car trip or something.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 2:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I didn't go by time frames. I left the potty chair in the great room and she went on her own. I'd ask before we went somewhere and before bed and first thing in the morning. Rest of the time, she told me even from the start ... well after she figured it out that is.
    Anonymous