Does peroxide or baking soda whiten teeth?

Or do they just prevent getting more stains?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I'd stick with baking soda
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Peroxide can help remove stains. I've used it myself. Just pour a little on your toothbrush(after normal brushing) and brush your teeth with it. It will foam on your teeth like crazy, but it helps get out other stains toothpaste doesn't get. (as with toothpaste just don't swallow it)
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• They do, but baking soda can be very abrasive.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I smoke and drink lots of coffee. My dentist recommended to use baking soda once 2X a week and it helps.
    yldflwr

Answer by yldflwr at 4:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Both have been used for decades for this reason. If you go into a toothpaste isle, look at the different toothpastes available. Many of them have one or the other.. some have both! Baking soda and peroxide must have worked if toothpaste companies still use them today! :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 6:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I've been a dental hygienist for over 20 years. Baking soda is an abrasive and will only remove surface stains. It shouldn't be used often because it is an abrasive and can damage the tooth structure.
    Brushing with peroxide will not lift the shade of your teeth. The strength of the peroxides used for teeth bleaching is much stronger than hydrogen peroxide sold in the bottle from the drug store. Teeth bleaching agents should stay on the tooth structure for at least 30 minutes per application.
    As for the baking soda and peroxide toothpaste comment - there is less than 3% peroxide in these toothpastes and it is not baking soda - it is baking soda flavoring. It's just advertising gimmicks to sell the product. Most have only been on the market since the mid 1990's when it was the newest craze.
    BTW - teeth bleaching has only been a dental procedure sine the early 90's - it was found by accident in 1984 - FDA approved in 1992.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• this was asked on the doctors a couple days ago. they said to use a paste of baking soda and peroxide (their reasoning was so that your kids dont get the idea and swallow/drink the peroxide). my dentist told me to use half peroxide and half water because the peroxide is too strong by itself and will do more damage than good. i have a lot of luck with peroxide. after i brush with regular toothpaste, i dip my brush in it and go again. and it may be horrible for your teeth, but i have unrolled a cottonball, soaked it w/ peroxide, and let it sit on my teeth for a few mins. i've only done it a couple times, not sure if it's healthy.
    abanana87

Answer by abanana87 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 13, 2010