OMG MY BABY JUST ATE DOG POOP! HELP!

omg, i turned my back for 2 seconds, literally, to answer my cell, and i turn back around and the gosh darn dog had a poop accident in the house and my 9 month old daughter just had some in her hand and some in her mouth?!?! Will this hurt her?! Should I panic, I am panicking already, and dry heaving, but our dog is healthy and up to date on all shots and vet visits, is fed organic dog food/treats, but should I still take my dd to the Dr?? I can't belive this just happened, and yes i rinsed her mouth the best i could, used a washcloth to swipe around for any extra in her mouth, and washed her hands and face... anything else I should do?? Besides clean up the poo, obviously...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, I hope your dog is parasite free
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• no need to panic! you did the right thing by rinsing her mouth out. the only thing I'd recommend is just keep an eye on her poopy diapers, just to make sure she doesn't end up with pin worms which can come from dog poop.

my oldest ate cat poop and is perfectly fine now :)
    Anonymous

• She'll be fine.That's really gross but when you think about it the poop is just digested dog food right?
    boogernoodle

Answer by boogernoodle at 2:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• wow, that was helpful advice there babycakes... geeze...
    Anonymous

• She'll most likely be ok but like the PP said, keep an eye on her diapers for anything out of the ordinary. I think this is probably pretty common even if most parents wont admit to it.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I would be concerned regarding parasites because even house pets can carry them without the owner even knowing.

I would call the pediatrician and ask if he recommends any testing done or would consider appropriate to take the child for a parasite screening. Parasites are no joke, specially with a brain developing infant. As much as I want to calm this mom's anxiety or fears, I think that she must be aware of the main concern here. Please call your pediatrician don't let him pacify you, ask for a parasite/worm screening for your child. The stakes are too high to take any chances.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• We have a Husky that has been treated for tape worms, round worms, hook worms, heart worms... Umm I think you should be a bit more concerned and take her to the Dr. Our Vet said all it takes is eating part of a dead animal, or the feces from another animal and that's possibly how our dog contracted the worms she had.. You don't want your baby to have worms of any kind so be safe and have her checked out..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Babies are nasty. Make sure your dog has been dewormed recently if to run a sample by your vet to have it run it'll cost like 15-20 for peace of mind. Roundworms and hook worms (pin worms) are zoonatic( go from animals to people) . Even if your pet did have these particular worms the chances of baby catching them is slim to none. Don't feel bad my baby did the same thing!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• There is E Coli bacteria in feces. I would take her to the doctor. E Coli can kill a baby.

Perhaps your dog and baby best be kept seperate until either the dogs stops pooping in the house or the baby is old enough to realize not to eat dog poop.

That is really disgusting
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 5:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My son's eaten cat poop (seriously, I love him but he's disgusting sometimes). Same scene, down to the phone and everything. He was alright and both my cats had just been to the vet. We had everyone checked anyway and kept an eye on the diaper for any weirdness. I'd say take the gross ones (captain poops-in-house and miss poop-is-a-food-group) to the doctor and just keep your eyes open a little wider during diaper changes. There are things to be concerned about but most likely she'll be fine. And when she's older, try not to bring this up to every boyfriend she brings home.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 6:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2010