It's around 55 degrees here during the day, and i havnt taken my 2 yr old outside since baby was born. Is it ok, to take 2 week old baby outside so my 2 yr old can play?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Of course it's okay, 55 is still warm, just remember the rule of thumb.....dress your baby the way you would dress PLUS one layer. You're lucky in that you have 55 degrees....that's spring like weather here, it's currently 22 degrees here and other than to and from the car.....completely covered head to toe in blankets.....for doctor appointments or picking my son up from school I CAN'T take my newborn outside. 55 degrees....me and that baby will be out for daily walks....go get those kids outside!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• No problem in 55 degree weather. Just keep your baby warm. I'd invest in a Moby Wrap -- you can wrap your baby and keep him close to your body and still wear a coat, plus it frees up your hands to chase your 2 year-old. Outside is probably a better place for a new baby than a Children's museum or public library or other places moms take their 2 year-olds for entertainment -- not so many germs.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• As long as they are bundled up-but not too much-you should be fine.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I'd say it was ok but not have the baby around a lot of people. I still worry about the swine flu but to go outside so the other child can play should be fine. Cover the baby up, especially head and feet.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• OP here---i'm just talking about my front yard. Not out out.
    Anonymous

• as long as your dressed for the weather it shouldnt be a problem what temp it is. Try going out and playing 20- 30 mins at a time.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• i was taking my baby with me everywhere from day one and hes now 2months old and hes never been sick. I dont see any problem with taking your newborn outside for a bit, just make sure you dress appropriate for the weather. No need to keep the 2 year old inside because you have a newborn. All the kids in my family were always outside and going places with their parents from day one and none of them have ever been severly sick. Kids get sick you cant protect them from everything but as long as you keep an eye on their temp and who is around them they should be perfectly fine.
    krisholl2285

Answer by krisholl2285 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• I think all of you will enjoy the fresh air! I wish it were 55 degrees here!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2010