Does anyone here know what its like to have your husband locked up? How did/do you handle it..what did/do you tell your kids?

My husband just went to jail for some things he did along time ago and i dont know when he will get out..he might have to spend time in prison.. :( im so sad and depressed... any advice on how to deal?

mom2girliegirls

Asked by mom2girliegirls at 3:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• hugsJust take one day at a time. My children knew but if they don't know, don't tell them unless they ask. 

Answer by admckenzie at 3:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• How old are the children? If they're smaller, maybe tell them that daddy went "away" for a little while, but the older kids might know better or ask questions. Like PP said, take it one day at a time. Best of luck to you!
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 3:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• They ask all the time where is daddy...but i dont think they would understand if i told them the truth since they are so young so i just tell them he went bye bye...we just moved to Oregon because his family lives here..and now his mom is being a wack job and telling me i need to take the kids and leave him alone because she is taking care of him...me and my kids are living with his dad and step mom who i just met a month ago...everything is such a mess...
    mom2girliegirls

Answer by mom2girliegirls at 3:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• first of all, do not run from this no matter what his mother says. she had her turn and its time for her to step off. secondly, tell your children the truth, even tho they are young. the other option is what? let them think dad didnt love them so he just left? or as another reply said dont tell them anything...WHAT? then they can just think in their heads'wow dad just is gone and no one says why so it must be my fault" and we all know kids DO think that way, it will haunt them....
    be brave, tellthem that sometimes even daddys make mistakes and that he is now taking care of those things so he can come home and be a family again. let them write him and talk to him..if they are too little to understandsay"daddy had to go bye bye, but he loves us and will be home soon" .its not ideal but if its that or they think daddy is just "gone" my god dont break their hearts anymore than they already are broken. good luck honey. God bless
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2010