How is the bible not an idol?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think some people are missing the point. The Bible is really no different than a statue. It is not the Word itself, it is representative of the Word. It tells people what to follow and how to believe, but the Bible itself is a bunch of dead tree and ink. There's really nothing special about it. What is special is the belief you hold because of the story it tells.

Anonymous

• LOL some people do take it as one. such as my MIL yelling at me for something else sitting on top of mine, or for it being upside down on the shelf

it's a book!
    Anonymous

• Because Jesus IS the Word of God (JOHN 1)
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

The bible is assorted pieces of a cut up tree, it is not the word. So why is the bible exempt from being considered an idol when it is nothing more than a symbol of the word, just like a crucifix or statue?
    Anonymous

• previous anon... of course you wouldnt understand what CinMom just said.

Jesus is the WORD of God
    and it is not an idol because I know for me I do not pray to my bible... I READ it for spiritual food!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Good question. I think we forget about our relationship with God and take the Bible entirely too literal. God is everywhere and not in the Bible. Read it but don't take it verbatim.

Anonymous

I understood it perfectly. You chose to ignore what I said. The bible is not the word, yet around here, many treat it as if it is. You do now know the word, you know what the bible tells you the word is. There are hundreds of versions of the bible, all different. They cannot all be THE word when they conflict. So why is the bible held up as the standard by which to beat others over the head about worshiping idols, when the bible is nothing more than yet another idol?
    Anonymous

• Yeah I was thinking the same thing earlier. It could be considered similar to an idol in the sense that its a material object, right? I asked myself, what is the difference? I concluded that the bible is my tool like an artist uses a paintbrush. God does not favor idols but He favors the bible because I view it as his written word. 2 Tim 3:16 I believe the bible when it says God actively directed the writings.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• The Bible doesn't contradict itself, it is just that sometimes people get confused and think it does. Also, God never told the Israelites not to write down His Word and honor it. In fact He commanded it!!! In Deut. 4 which warns against idolatry it talks about worshiping an image, because they have not SEEN Him. But He said that they have heard Him speak to them. He has given us His Word. We are to keep it. In Deut. 6 "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house."
    cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• In fact you should read Psalm 119 to see just how much you should love the Word of God!!!

Moses said, "These instructions are not mere words--they are your life!" Deut. 32:47. Jesus said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.' " Matthew 4:4.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2010